[News] [Rival] Microsoft Unable to Find Growth, Diversify

Microsoft As Pepsico

,----[ Quote ]
| As Microsoft struggles to find growth opportunities outside its core Windows
| and Office software business, it risks becoming the PepsiCo of a decade ago.
| Pepsi built a portfolio of its core beverage business, along with snack food
| and restaurant businesses. While there were marketing and distribution
| synergies between the beverage and snack food businesses, Pepsi diverted
| attention to an inefficient restaurant business.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/06/01/google-microsoft-showdown-tech-enter-cx_ec_0602trahan.html

Survival of the fittest: Google and Amazon

,----[ Quote ]
| A scenario in which Google or Amazon are taken down isn't likely in the next
| several years, however. The two are well established and the online market is
| reaching early adolescence, making it more difficult for newcomers to be
| supremely disruptive to incumbents. If competitors become a nuisance, Google
| and Amazon have the clout and deep pockets to acquire or extinguish them, if
| they see them coming.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-9959347-80.html

Recent:

Microsoft sees slide in profits

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

The beginning of the end for the Microsoft Zune

,----[ Quote ]
| Some may even say this goes to the root of Microsoft’s heritage. How they
| came to achieve the operating system dominance and success by bullying
| smaller businesses or buying them out and marketing their product as their
| own.
|
| The way things are going, one can not help wonder if Microsoft have just run
| out of ideas on expanding their business and decided to jump on the “me-too”
| bandwagon.
`----

http://tech.blorge.com/Structure
%20/2008/05/25/the-beginning-to-the-end-for-the-microsoft-zune/

Zuneral this Saturday!

,----[ Quote ]
| We regret to report the sudden, unexpected death of Digital Rights
| Management. Details of the tragedy at present remain unclear, but he was
| rushed to the hospital following a direct collision with an oncoming future
| last week at 10 PM. He was seven years old.
`----

http://www.hcs.harvard.edu/%7Efreeculture/blog/2008/05/22/zuneral-this-saturday/

GameStop to Stop Zune Sales

,----[ Quote ]