[News] "Ultimate Ultraportable" Might Run GNU/Linux

The Ultimate Ultraportable?

,----[ Quote ]
| As I've noted a number of times, I think the appearance of the ultraportable
| platform will provide a huge boost for GNU/Linux among ordinary users, and
| prove to be a watershed in the history of open source. The combination of
| ultraportable form factor with Ubuntu's ease-of-use will only magnify that
| effect. And if the rumours about Dell's new mini Inspiron running Ubuntu
| (presumably the Netbook Remix) prove correct, we could be witnessing the
| birth of the ultimate ultraportable.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=870&blogid=14

Atom everywhere: Intel's MID, netbook, and nettop strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel is talking up the mobile market at Computex this year, unveiling
| detailed information on upcoming Atom-based products. We've covered what
| Intel refers to as Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs) before, but the CPU giant
| is now detailing plans to introduce products into two new system tiers it
| refers to as "netbooks" and "nettops." These new systems will be powered by
| the Atom N230 and Atom N270 processors. Despite the different nomenclature,
| these chips are architecturally identical to the Z-series of Atom we've
| previously discussed. The difference between the two series is in the chip
| packaging—the Z-series package is 13mm x 14mm, while the N-series is 22mm x
| 22mm.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080602-atom-everywhere-intels-mid-netbook-and-nettop-strategy.html

Last week:

Otellini: 'MID revolution will be centred round Linux'

,----[ Quote ]
| Intel CEO says Microsoft's insistence on pushing Vista will hand market to
| open source rival
|
| Intel's CEO has said that he sees the revolution that is about to happen
| around mobile internet devices (MID) such as the Eee PC and other Atom-based
| sub-notebooks will be "centred round Linux", in an interview with Associated
| Press.
`----

http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29939/Otellini-MID-revolution-will-be-centred-round-Linux

Yesterday:

First Atom-based notebook runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's third-largest PC vendor has announced a "netbook" based on a
| 1.6GHz Intel Centrino Atom processor and Linpus Linux. Acer's $380 Aspire One
| offers 512MB or 1GB of RAM, 8GB flash, an 8.9-inch, 1024x600 display, WiFi,
| webcam, and an optional 80GB hard drive.
`----

http://linuxdevices.com/news/NS6652435792.html

Linux distributor joins Moblin

,----[ Quote ]