[News] Free Software Good for Business; New Anti-GPL Media Blitz

Freeing up the future: Is open source best for business?

,----[ Summary ]
| We spend $1 trillion on software every year, writing off around twenty
| percent in failed applications. Not only is open source software free, but
| many are now claiming it works better too. Exec finds out more
`----

http://www.execdigital.co.uk/Freeing-up-the-future--Is-open-source-best-for-business-_6094.aspx

Irreconcilable conflict between $ and Open Source ?!

,----[ Quote ]
| I guess this particular attorney has never heard of Red Hat (aiming for $1
| billion in revenue), Oracle (runs its own infrastructure on open source
| software), Cisco (world's largest networking vendor that is now backing
| Linux) and many other for profit vendors that all have somehow RECONCILED
| open source and profit
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/06/legal-firm-warns-of-irreconcil.html

Recent:

Microsoft arguments against Linux are bollocks

,----[ Quote ]
| Mind you, the bad experience was dubious; in essence a Windows shop acquired
| a smaller company which ran Linux. By rolling out their existing standard
| operating platform they cut costs. Really, the operating system used was
| irrelevant; it’s a no brainer that you will gain efficiency and reduce costs
| by having a standard platform over all your sites.
|
| In the end, to my mind, the solution implemented did not meet the high goals
| the company had in mind. Disappointingly, it’s most likely budget constraints
| were the cause – and if an open source solution had been chosen there could
| have been more bang for buck.
|
| It was a very weak case study. Perhaps it had merits if it were touted
| as “Microsoft designs solution for Video Ezy” but it was not; it was pitched
| as a direct battle between the two operating systems, with Microsoft winning.
| This just was not the case.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17883/1141/

A case study: Video Ezy and Microsoft myths about open source lead to flawed
network

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/17764/1143/