Re: [News] Asus GNU/Linux Desktops Announced, More in the Pipeline

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
<brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 3 Jun 2008 03:07:55 -0400
<1xcrvwd4y3yzi.16tjh4kjnp4lk$.dlg@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 07:51:09 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Asus officially announces Eee Box details
>
> Have the blogs offering step by step instructions on how to remove Linux
> and install Windows surfaced yet?
>
> They will....

If one knows Linux, has done his homework and has
sufficient outside storage space, that's trivial.

[1] dd if=/dev/hda | gzip > /outside/hda.img.gz
[2] Install Linux, repartition, do whatever you want.
[3] When done, gunzip < /outside/hda.img.gz | dd of=/dev/hda
and everything's hunkydory.

Of course that procedure has three problems: (a) It
requires knowledge of Linux commands, (b) it assumes
one has external storage space, and (c) it's a physical
backup, as opposed to a logical one, and therefore cannot
be reliably transferred to a differently-sized partition.

A fourth problem in this context is (d) one has to have
an initial running Windows system.

For a Windows utility one might try things such as Norton Ghost,
which I'm not personally familiar with but seems to do the job
for our IT folk.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because a BSOD is just so 20th century; why not
try our new color changing variant?