[News] GNU/Linux Gives a Lot More Than What You Pay For

Linux: You Get What You Paid For (When You Bought Windows)

,----[ Quote ]
| If you've been an Open Source advocate for any significant amount of time,
| you've no doubt heard someone say, with a sneer in their voice, "You get what
| you pay for". Let it be noted, I really hate that cliche. It does make me
| think, however, about what you really get when you purchase the license to
| use a commercial operating system like Windows or OSX.
|
| [..]
|
| I'm excited about the future of Linux. Yes, the competition has mountains of
| cash. Yes, they have an astronomical installed user base. Yes they work hard
| to protect their interests in proprietary hardware support. But we're
| patient. We're smart. We have nothing to lose, and what we do have, we're
| giving away.
|
| It's a good time to be a Linux user.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-you-get-what-you-paid-when-you-bought-windows

More on the migration of a town:

LINdependence 2008 - The way it is supposed to work.

,----[ Quote ]
| If you want Linux to flourish, you better...they are the ones that are going
| to make this Linux thing happen. A decade of "word of mouth" has barely
| gotten us 5 percent market share world-wide. Is it growing? Probably, but
| with efforts like LIN08, it can grow a whole bunch faster.
`----

http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008/06/lindependence-2008-way-it-is-supposed.html

Microsoft's Partner Group estimated only about 3% desktop market share for
Linux, at least in Europe. Absolute numbers are impossible to come by, but
trends are important.

Related:

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
| The number of Linux users has more than doubled over the last one year, says
| a new survey by DesktopLinux.com. The survey also said Ubuntu remains their
| Linux distribution of choice.
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft