[News] Going Microsoft-Free (Linux/FOSS) and "Loving It!"

Microsoft Free - One year later

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not going to recommend to anybody that they change their company
| standards away from Microsoft. What I will tell you is that open source is a
| viable alternative that can be used in a production environment. So when you
| see flame wars where the two camps argue back and forth about their favorite
| technology, you can point to this post when people claim that Linux and Open
| Office just won't work in the work place. I have validated that they do work
| for over 365 days now. Whether we should use these tools at work is a whole
| different story that really depends on factors like corporate culture, skill
| sets, budgets, user base, executive support, and many others.
|
| All I can say is that for the last year, I have been using Open Source
| exclusively and I am loving it!
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/eai/madgreek/archives/microsoft-free-one-year-later-25078

Related:

Ann Arbor's Linux Box doubles staff in last year

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Box primarily takes software that is in the public domain and
| customizes it for clients.
`----

http://www.metromodemedia.com/innovationnews/linux3007.aspx

Microsoft Profit Drops; Forecast May Miss Estimates

,----[ Quote ]
| The world's biggest software maker said sales of Windows for PCs sank 24
| percent and revenue from its online advertising unit came in at the low end
| of its projections. Microsoft's report contrasted with positive comments from
| chipmaker Intel Corp. and computer company International Business Machines
| Corp.
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft declined $1.60 to $30.20 in extended trading after closing at
| $31.80 at 4 p.m. New York time on the Nasdaq Stock Market. The stock has
| fallen 11 percent this year.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aQ7_iN1SxJ.c&refer=worldwide

Linux-on-Mainframe Apps Up 100%: IBM

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM recently reported a 390% jump in mainframe sites running Linux.
| It says more than 60% of its mainframe revenue is now coming from
| new workloads, with approximately 20% of the revenue and 30% of the
| MIPS coming from Linux customers, which is what has the ISVs
| interested.
`----

http://issj.sys-con.com/read/317754.htm

Linux Users Base More Than doubled Over Last One Year: Survey

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19940,p,0.html