[News] [Rival] Shot in Foot: Microsoft Thought About Rubbishing Surface!

Microsoft's Robbie Bach 'thought about killing' Surface

,----[ Quote ]
| "I didn't have a clear line of sight on what the business model was," Bach
| said. "I was always asking myself whether we could afford to keep it."
|
| Surface did have one important cheerleader: Bill Gates.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9956880-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Next SPOT watch. The guy is delusional. He thinks people would pay
$5,000-$10,000 for an oversized PC, just like Paul Allen did when he released
that miserable failure (a UMPC) a couple of years ago. It seems to have just
died or something too.

Related:

Microsoft Rips off Researchers at Pompeu Fabra University of Barcelona

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently while on vacation I was flipping channels and came across a
| channel called “current TV”, what caught my eye was a  computer  booting
| to Kubuntu. This computer looked remarkably like Microsoft’s new
| Surface touch table. Funny thing is the reactable has been around
| over three years and research has been going on much longer than that.
`----

http://dthomasdigital.wordpress.com/2007/06/22/microsoft-rips-off-researchers-at-pompeu-fabra-university-of-barcelona/

Jeff Han's Research Ripped by Microsoft Surface?

,----[ Quote ]
| Jeff Han, consulting research scientist for NYU's Department of
| Computer Science, developed a multi-touch interactive graphical
| interface, which he presented at the TED conference over a year
| ago. His research turned into its own company, Perceptive Pixel.
|
| Now it seems Microsoft completely ripped the idea and created
| Microsoft Surface.
`----

http://www.jorispoort.com/2007/05/jeff-hans-research-ripped-by-microsoft.html

Microsoft Surface idea not that new?

,----[ Quote ]
| An attached PC, running Linux and Reactrix software, calculates the
| location and movement of an object interrupting the beam and enables
| the system to allow a basic interaction with projected content.
`----

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/32389/118/

Microsoft's Surface is evidence that Redmond is losing it

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.robneville.net/rants/microsofts-surface-is-evidence-that-redmond-is-losing-it/2007/06/