[News] [Rival] Bugarian Minister Sells Children to Convicted Monopolist

COLUMNISTS: OFFLINE: Eurofunding Microsoft?

,----[ Quote ]
| Deputy Education Minister Kircho Atanasov signed an agreement on June 12 with
| the general director of Microsoft Bulgaria, Ognyan Krikov, on the occasion of
| which the two announced that Microsoft would invest US$1 million (0.65
| million euro) in the Bulgarian education system. While any investment in
| education is to be welcomed and despite the fact that $1 million won’t buy
| you what it used to, it was not specified for what the money would be used.
`----

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/columnists-offline-eurofunding-microsoft/id_30042/catid_99

"Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but people
don't pay for the software... Someday they will, though. As long as they are
going to steal it, we want them to steal ours. They'll get sort of addicted,
and then we'll somehow figure out how to collect sometime in the next decade."

                        --Bill Gates, world's biggest 'drug dealer'

Recent:

BG: 'Government's increasing use of Open Source inevitable'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bulgarian government will turn more and more to Open Source software,
| predicts Krasimir Panayotov, coordinator of the GNU/Linux User Group in the
| city of Rousse, the country's fifth-largest city.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7662/469%20

BG: Bulgaria to review its IT strategy, considers Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bulgarian government organised a meeting with Open Source companies and
| developers on 21 March in Sofia. Nikolay Vassilev, the minister for State
| Administration, told the representatives of software companies, IT services
| companies and Open Source developers that the government is about to review
| the state's IT system and that it wants to get a better understanding of Open
| Source software. The minister admitted he had once worked with Apple
| Macintosh, but had in the last thirteen years only experienced Microsoft
| applications. He told the Open Source advocates he would listen to their
| views on IT: "We have an open mind and will accept reasonable propositions."
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7548

Related:

Bulgaria's open administration

,----[ Quote ]
| In France, government agency ATICA has supported the use of open software in
| the French public sector. In a special report to the French prime minister,
| the agency provided an action plan and the requirements for open standards.
| One of the six priorities was the use of open software in the public
| administration. Denmark installed StarOffice in its education system, and in
| addition the program was installed in the homes of students. In Spain, the
| senate, the council for nuclear security, the interior ministry and the
| justice ministry have used server applications with open code. These
| examples, however, are only about separate public structures.
`----

http://www.sofiaecho.com/article/bulgarias-open-administration/id_27087/catid_23

Sofia, Bulgaria: FLOSSWorld Workshop on Free and Open Source Software Policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Professor Ivan Evgueniev at the Technical University of Sofia presented
| the FP6 Open Trusted Computing project, professor Vencislav Trifonov
| also at the Technical University of Sofia presented their e-learning
| system, Mircho Mirev elaborated the activities of the Bulgarian free
| and open source software community through the Linux for Bulgarians
| portal with over 5.000 hits per day.
`----

http://www.metamorphosis.org.mk/content/view/877/4/lang,en/

President praises Open Source conference in Sofia

,----[ Quote ]
| Topics include a presentation on how to configure a thin client
| infrastructure using the Linux Terminal Server Project, an outline on FreeBSD
| and its new network and transport protocols and a discussion on the uses of
| the Cluster File system.
`----

http://www.socialniprava.info/article1894.html

European spend on open source software hits 22 billion Euros

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/news.nv?storyid=single7850