[News] Many GNU/Linux Distributions the Natural Choice

Why Many Projects Is Better Than Just a Few

,----[ Quote ]
| I kept reading opinions regarding the big number of Linux distributions out
| there, most of them saying that we have a huge number of distros, each one
| with its own package management system, keeping Linux divided. Most of them
| suggest only a few such projects, and that all developers should unite in
| order to produce a 'universal' solution to this. A comparison with MS Windows
| is always brought in as an argument. Of course, every person with its own
| opinion, but why do I think a big number of projects is the way to go?
|
| Well, in the first place, I think a 'universal' distribution is not quite
| possible. There will always be persons who will want to have their own
| project and eventually start it from scratch instead of contributing to an
| already solid one. Not to mention that Linux itself was born from such a
| project, and examples of projects which started the same way as the Linux
| kernel are countless.
|
| Since free-software as promoted by the FSF is all about freedom and free
| choice, the developers are free to choose their own way of programming and
| building projects.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/06/why-many-projects-is-better-than-few.html

Alternative distros, alternative desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| I've also recently switched my workstation's desktop from Gnome and Firefox 2
| to gnome-light and Firefox 3. The latter necessitated moving to the former,
| as right now, too many packages force dependencies on Firefox 2 and/or
| xulrunner-1.8. Plus, now that I'm on gnome-light, I've discovered the joys of
| unmerging Epiphany, Evolution, sound-juicer, and sundry other miscellaneous
| bloat. I've also given up on trying to use Midori and webkitgtk. While I
| appreciate that both are now in Portage, Midori is just too broken to
| consider using as a worthwhile browser, even though its rendering speed
| (thanks to webkitgtk) is second to none.
`----

http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/nightmorph/2008/06/20/alternative_distros_alternative_desktops

Related:

Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing