Re: [News] [SOT] Free Net is Kaput

Phil Da Lick! <phil_the_lickREMOVETHISSPAMTRAP@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>> Charging by the Byte to Curb Internet Traffic
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | One of them, Time Warner Cable, began a trial of ?Internet metering? in one
>> | Texas city early this month, asking customers to select a monthly plan and
>> | pay surcharges when they exceed their bandwidth limit. The idea is that
>> | people who use the network more heavily should pay more, the way they do for
>> | water, electricity, or, in many cases, cellphone minutes.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/technology/15cable.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1213711461-Ks4R1ajCoNWNQvY+4byuKA
>> http://tinyurl.com/56ps2a
>>

> It was only a matter of time until some bright spark came up with this
> idea. The problem (in the UK at least - don't know about stateside) is
> that the infrastructure of the net is woefully inadequate.
>
> There is hope however. Those of you that follow the news may have heard
> about the company selling broadband by cable without digging the roads
> up. They're basically laying fibre through the sewers and have plans to
> roll it out to the entire UK. BT's crappy 21CN will look so fucking
> antiquated when this happens.

It'll be interesting to see how the sewer cable company will get their
money back on their investment, which will be enormous.  In fact, you'll
see that there is considerable skepticism about such plans, see here:
http://www.vnu.co.uk/vnunet/news/2214678/broadband-sewer-hits-ofcom

Of course, not everyone is even connected to mains drainage in the UK,
including my house, and I'm not exactly out in the sticks.

How many people would be prepared to pay a lot extra for this, I wonder?
The only way Deutsche Telekom have only been able to fund their FTTP by
regaining their monopoly.  Anywhere where there is LLU, like the UK, is
highly unlikely to find anyone prepared to take the risk of funding it
beyond perhaps a few metro areas or new build.

> How long until spotty nerds are overheard bragging about the amount of
> bandwidth their shitpipe can take :)

I don't really fancy the job of the maintenance guys on such a network.
I imagine that once things "go down", they could stay that way for some
time.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |