[News] Comparison Between Red Hat's Handling of Trolls and Novell/Microsoft Trolling

  • Subject: [News] Comparison Between Red Hat's Handling of Trolls and Novell/Microsoft Trolling
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 13:23:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Comparing Red Hat’s patent settlement with the Microsoft-Novell agreement

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell did precisely not sign a patent agreement with Microsoft debunking any
| claims or myths related to FOSS infringing Microsoft’s “intellectual
| property”. It implicitly did just the contrary: Microsoft and Novell were
| teaming up to “protect” Novell customers against patent claims made by…
| Microsoft.
| The agreement was only covering Novell customers (not even OpenSuse users)
| and was at the same time contradicting the GPL (v2). Red Hat’s settlement
| does not seem to conflict with any version of the GPL as it places no burden
| or extra deeds on users and developers of GPLv3 software (More on that
| later).
| There was no prior art, no litigation, and perhaps as important as the rest,
| the Novell-Microsoft agreement involved money. Lots of it . On the other
| hand, Red Hat received to my knowledge no payment for the settlement and as a
| future outcome, no strong incentive to do business with the plaintiffs and
| have its existing customers sign some dubious “software patent insurance”.
`----

http://standardsandfreedom.net/index.php/2008/06/17/comparing-red-hats-patent-settlement-with-the-microsoft-novell-agreement/#comment-886

Recent:

Red Hat Makes History With Patent Settlement - Compatible with GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's what Eben Moglen says about the agreement:
|
|       "Red Hat’s settlement of outstanding patent litigation on terms that
|          provide
|          additional protection to other members of the community upstream and
|          downstream from Red Hat is a positive contribution to the resources
|          for community patent defense. We would hope to see more settlements
|          of this kind–in which parties secure more than their own particular
|          legal advantage in relation to the third-party patent risk of the
|          whole FOSS community–when commercial redistributors of FOSS choose
|          to settle  patent litigation. SFLC welcomes Red Hat’s efforts on the
|          community’s behalf."

Novell needed this lesson

,----[ Quote ]
`----