[News] From Proprietary Mobile Platforms to Freer Linux Ones

The Linux promise

,----[ Quote ]
| When you think “iPhone”, you may just soon find yourself thinking “lock-in”
| with every feature, as a customer of Apple’s phone, services, and partners.
| Fortunately, hope springs eternal. Increasingly, all other handset
| manufacturers are coming together and embracing Linux as their platform.
| Linux fundamentally promises “freedom” and “openness”, enabling you to
| unshackle yourself from vendors who wish to tie you in with their hardware,
| software and services. Linux also spoils you for choice: You get access to a
| much larger base of software that is being developed or ported to mobiles.
`----

http://www.livemint.com/2008/06/17232359/The-Linux-promise.html

Google exec: Tight creative loop critical for Web products

,----[ Quote ]
| Android, the open source Linux-based mobile platform, the development of
| which is under the jurisdiction of the Google-led Open Handset Alliance, will
| ensure its competitive advantage by employing "Internet style innovation,"
| said Andy Rubin, senior director, mobile platforms, Google.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/061708-google-exec-tight-creative-loop.html

Recent:

Google Exec: Android To Beat iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Rich Miner even went after Apple's handheld darling.  "Once you have devices
| out there from Motorola, HTC, Samsung, and so on, there's a much larger
| potential market on Android than for the iPhone," he said.  "[T]here's a
| single manufacturer, it's targeted at a particular demographic, and it falls
| far short of the 1 billion mobile phones sold every year worldwide."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/03/17/google-exec-android-to-beat-iphone

iPhone vs. Android : An Open Source Devs Perspective

,----[ Quote ]
| According to Andrea Gazzaniga, software development manager at mobile open
| source vendor Funambol the answer is not entirely clear. In a rambling
| overflow presentation at AjaxWorld's iPhone Sumitt, Gazzaniga attempted to
| outline the differences and similiaraties between iPhone and Android.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/03/iphone-vs-android-an-open-sour.html

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Unlocking Android