[News] Review of Guitar FX and Songbird on GNU/Linux

Rakarrack: Guitar FX For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux-based guitar effects processors haven't exactly been flourishing
| recently. Until recently, the guitar FX processors page at linux-sound.org
| listed twelve projects, of which the most recent maintenance date is 2006.
| Clearly, not a flourishing domain for Linux audio developers. Not that Linux
| lacks realtime effects processing capabilities: Pd can be pressed into any
| audio service imaginable, the JACK Rack can be configured for LADSPA-based
| effects, but they are not organized and optimized specifically for
| guitarists. However, a thirteenth entry has joined the collection at
| linux-sound.org, and this entry is most definitely organized, optimized, and
| intended for guitarists.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/rakarrack-guitar-fx-linux

First look: Songbird 0.6 open source media player

,----[ Quore ]
| We tested Songbird 0.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 to see how it compares to other open
| source media players. Although we encountered some bugs during our testing,
| the overall Songbird experience proved compelling. It has some unique
| features and offers a very high level of extensibility.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080616-first-look-songbird-0-6-open-source-media-player.html
http://tinyurl.com/4q59go

Recent:

Why Vista sounds worse

,----[ Quote ]
| Changes to how the latest version of Windows handles audio playback has
| caused unexpected quality issues for musicians and consumers alike, reports
| Tim Anderson
`----

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/31/microsoft.technology

Related:

Mozilla + iTunes + Rhapsody = Songbird

,----[ Quote ]
| Lord calls Songbird a "mashup between a Web browser and a media player,
| creating a new class of app I call a Web player." Songbird will support all
| open file formats but it will also support codecs (define) and Digital Rights
| Management (DRM) in Windows media, VLC and Quicktime. That means it can play
| the iTunes AAC file format, XviD, Ogg Vorbis and WMV files.

Songbird: The Firefox of Media Players

,----[ Quote ]