[News] [Rival] Rumour: Microsoft Interested in eBay, Headhunter Icahn Still Clueless

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Rumour: Microsoft Interested in eBay, Headhunter Icahn Still Clueless
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 04:33:55 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

eBay: Stifel Upgrades; MSFT Interest In PayPal/Skype?

,----[ Quote ]
| Is Microsoft (MSFT) interested in taking a stake in eBay’s (EBAY) PayPal and
| Skype units?
|
| Stifel Nicolaus analyst Scott Devitt asserts in a research note this morning
| that he has “thought it possible for Microsoft to attain an equity ownership
| interest in PayPal/Skype.” He notes that display ads for Microsoft’s program
| for providing cash back to consumers who make purchases through MSN have
| shown up on eBay, and that all of eBay’s fixed price items qualify for the
| program. He also notes that the cash-back program offers PayPal deposit of
| refunds.
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/06/16/ebay-stifel-upgrades-msft-interest-in-paypalskype/

Microsoft recently failed with (and shut down) a Craigslist copycat project.

Icahn Considering Merits Of Yahoo, Google Pact

,----[ Quote ]
| "While the Google deal is not the same as an offer of $34.375 per share for
| Yahoo, I am continuing to study it, and it might have some merit," Icahn said
| in the report. "I continue to be extremely disappointed with the Yahoo
| management, but the Google deal might have some merit and seems to be better
| then the alternative deal proposed by Microsoft."
`----

http://www.webpronews.com/topnews/2008/06/16/icahn-considering-merits-of-yahoo-google-pact

Yahoo Investor Urges Deal with Icahn

,----[ Quote ]
| Jackson said his move was aimed at major Yahoo shareholders, including
| Capital Research, Legg Mason and Vanguard, as well as proxy advisory firms
| like RiskMetrics and Glass Lewis.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,147117-pg,1/article.html

"Proxy advisory firms". Microsoft probably knows quite a few. That's how it
hires and pays Munchkins, for starters.

Recent:

Yahoo: Icahn “Manipulates The Facts”

,----[ Quote ]
| The company also says it is “patently untrue” that the company turned down an
| offer of $40 a share from Microsoft and sabotaged the later offer of $33. The
| letter contends that Yahoo’s board “has at all times been focused on
| maximizing shareholder value.”
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/06/05/yahoo-ichan-manipulates-the-facts/?mod=googlenews_barrons
http://tinyurl.com/64nvv5