[News] Why Secret Code (Proprietary) is Bad Code

Programmer Insecurity

,----[ Quote ]
| OK, so what’s the conclusion here? People are scared of sharing their
| unfinished work, plain and simple. I know this isn’t headline news to most
| people, but I really think I’ve been in deep denial about this. I’m so used
| to throwing my creative output up for constant criticism, that I simply
| expect everyone else to do it as well. I think of it as the norm, and I can’t
| comprehend why someone wouldn’t want to do that… and yet clearly, the growing
| popularity of distributed version control shows just how thrilled people are
| to hide their work from each other.
|
| [...]
|
| Be transparent. Share your work constantly. Solicit feedback. Appreciate
| critiques. Let other people point out your mistakes. You are not your code.
| Do not be afraid of day-to-day failures — learn from them. (As they say at
| Google, “don’t run from failure — fail often, fail quickly, and learn.”)
| Cherish your history, both the successes and mistakes. All of these behaviors
| are the way to get better at programming. If you don’t follow them, you’re
| cheating your own personal development.
`----

http://blog.red-bean.com/sussman/?p=96

Related:

Diebold Voting Machines Vulnerable to Virus Attack

,----[ Quote ]
| An analysis of Diebold's source code shows that a hacker with access to a
| single voting machine could use a virus to affect an election.
|
| [...]
|
| The delayed release of the source-code review meant that David Wagner, an
| associate professor of computer science at the University of California at
| Berkeley and an author of the report, was not able to present his findings at
| a public hearing held on July 30 to discuss the results of the voting system
| review.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/printable/article/id,135461/printable.html#

Halt e-voting, says election body

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite the commission saying security needed to be "strengthened", Mr Will
| said: "We are pleased that the evaluations point to a high level of system
| security and user confidence in e-voting systems tested and that the security
| and integrity of the polls was not compromised.

Most vote machines lose test to hackers

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/07/28/VOTING.TMP&tsp=1