Re: [News] [SOT] Government-granted Monopolies; Dishonesty at Microsoft

> Stop the spectrum auction madness
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| When a company pays billions of dollars for a monopoly on the use of
>| spectrum, it can only get that money back by charging you a lot of money to
>| use it.
>|
>| That money is a tax, a spectrum tax, one you pay on every phone call you
>| make, and every ringtone you download.
>|
>| But it?s your spectrum. Yours and mine. The electromagnetic spectrum is not
>| government property, and need not be private property. It is supposed to be
>| regulated by the government in the public interest, to prevent interference.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2496

It's a very good point.  How can anyone 'own' EM waves, or tax for
their usage.  This is hardly like a road where someone has put down
tarmac or a railway where someone's laid track & sleeper, or a canal
where someone's dug it out and filled it with water.  This is merely
EM spectrum.  It's almost like renting time on electrons or something.

Nobody would deny that interference requires regulation, but after
that...

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |