Re: [News] Windows Users Come to GNU/Linux, Resistance to Good Change Felt

Hadron wrote:

> Linonut <linonut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> * Roy Schestowitz peremptorily fired off this memo:
>>
>>> Bringing a Windows mindset to a GNU/Linux world
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.cydeweys.com/blog/2008/06/12/always-sudo/
>>
>> That article does bring up a real problem:
>>
>>    You probably dont need sudo but I have got into the habit of adding
>>    it before pretty much everything.
>>
>> A new Linux user will (generally) need quite a bit of guidance from
>> fellow Linux users to avoid silly behaviors.  And a commentor makes a
>> good point that is true even on Windows:
>>
>>    It's the dabbling "power-users" who are most prone to
>>    blowing things up as they mess around with tools they don't
>>    fully understand.
>>
>> Anyone up for a random Registry edit? <grin>
>
> Windows nOObs don't edit the registry you blithering idiot.

I did have one customer who wiped his out. He decided that because he didn't
understand why it was there it obviously didn't serve a good purpose!
There's a lot to be said for creating a limited account for some people,
especially when they are 'click happy', irrespective of operating system.

Another (bad) trick is to backup your system by copying the entire OS folder
to an external USB drive. Unfortunately, one of my customers used the Move
option instead and couldn't understand why his computer wouldn't boot up
into Windows anymore.

Moral? Never underestimate the stupidity of humans. They'll stun you every
time.