[News] Firefox 3 Overview, Interview with Asa Dotzler

Everything You Need To Know About Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Release Candidate 3 was successful in picking up and fixing Bug 436575. With
| that crisis averted, Firefox 3 has nothing but smooth sailing in front of it
| until its release date on Tuesday June 17.
`----

http://www.crn.com/software/208403863

An Interview with Asa Dotzler (Mozilla)

,----[ Quote ]
| 1. Why name it “fox”?
|
| Originally, Firefox was called “m/b” a short-hand for the directory in the
| code repository where the first bits of it lived. Major code modules in
| Mozilla lived in the CVS repository under the mozilla/ directory. There was
| mozilla/xpfe where the old seamonkey browser front-end lived, mozilla/content
| where much of the rendering engine lived, mozilla/xptoolkit where widgets
| lived, etc. Firefox lived in mozilla/browser so the name was “m/b”,
| pronounced em-bee (or something like that.)
|
| When we got ready for the first milestone release, we knew we needed some
| sort of real name for it so we decided on “Phoenix”, the mythical bird that
| rose from the ashes alive and renewed. It just seemed to sort of fit for
| those of us working on it.
|
| Unfortunately, after a few milestone releases, we got an email from Phoenix
| Technologies, makers of the Phoenix BIOS (that bit of low-level stuff that
| you see before Windows starts up.). It turns out they had a browser for their
| BIOS and they didn’t like us using their name so we ended up renaming the
| browser to Firebird, a sort of derivative of “phoenix” that still fit with
| our theme of the flaming bird.
|
| Unfortunately, again, this was already being used by a database company and
| they asked us to change. So, we finally settled on Firefox.
`----

http://www.favbrowser.com/an-interview-with-asa-dotzler-mozilla/

Recent:

Field Guide to Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| We’re done. Firefox 3 is going to be launched very soon. In anticipation of
| this long-awaited event, the folks in the Mozilla community have been writing
| extensively about the new and improved features you’ll see in the browser.
| The new features cover the full range from huge and game-changing to ones so
| subtle you may not notice them until you realize that using Firefox is just
| somehow easier and better. The range of improved features is similar — whole
| back-end systems have been rebuilt from scratch, while other features have
| been tweaked slightly or redesigned in small ways. Overall the result is the
| fastest, safest, slimmest, and easiest to use version of Firefox yet. We hope
| you like it.
`----

http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/06/12/655/

Firefox 3 to Launch With a Bang