[News] Google Uses Firefox and Gears to Drive Microsoft Away

Get Ready For A New Platform War. Google Gears Drives Straight At Microsoft's
Profits.

,----[ Quote ]
| Google launched Gears last May, and for the first year of its release it was
| considered a minor, niche product that a few developers and users may take
| advantage of to allow offline access to web applications.
|
| [...]
|
| Google strongly backed the development of the open source Firefox web browser
| and supported open web standards as their technology stack of choice. They
| did this because their web applications depended on it, and a weak Firefox
| could possibly result in a revived Internet Explorer that would hand over
| control of the web back to Microsoft.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/13/AR2008061302657.html
http://tinyurl.com/5ce4d4

Recent:

Google Gears comes out for mobile

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's quest to keep browser-based applications running while offline is
| expanding to where it may be needed most: mobile devices.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/030408-google-gears-comes-out-for.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Adobe's new CEO zeroes in on Web

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Adobe is in an interesting place right now. The company is making a
| transition from boxed software to online, "cloud" computing. Can you talk
| about that?
|
| A: We want to marry the power of the desktop with the Web.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20071205/tc_usatoday/adobesnewceozeroesinonweb

Related:

Adobe sees full shift to Web in next decade

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21359751/