Re: [News] Mark Shuttleworth Defends Use of Microsoft Codecs in Ubuntu Notebook Remix

> * Homer peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> So does Privoxy, which dumped that garbage before I could even see
>> it.
>
> Does it run on a 64-bit system?

No, sorry.

It only runs on alpha amd64 arm hppa i386 ia64 mips mipsel powerpc s390
and sparc.

[extra-wide-grin] (This /is/ Linux, remember.)

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=Privoxy&searchon=names&suite=stable&section=all

It's best to set it up on a server, optionally peering to Squid, then
everyone on the network benefits.

Just add this to squid conf:

######
cache_peer <ip or fqdn> parent 8118 7 no-query
never_direct allow all
######

The fqdn is usually just localhost, assuming you're running Privoxy on
the same box as Squid. Of course you can just run Privoxy by itself.

You'll also probably want to grab this constantly updated filter, on a
regular basis:

http://www.sa-blacklist.stearns.org/sa-blacklist/sa-blacklist.current.actions

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Stallman has frequently pointed out, Free Software is by no means
| antithetical to making money: it's just a question of how you make
| money." ~ Glyn Moody: http://tinyurl.com/4wn2l2 (ComputerworldUK)

 15:58:08 up 176 days, 12:33,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.04