[News] [Rival] Dim Take on Microsoft's Prospects

Van Knapp's Take On Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is not known for its innovation or quality, it's known for its
| business acumen at boxing users into having only one choice: Microsoft.
|
| When that list expands to include others, Microsoft loses its edge. The
| perception that the list of alternatives to Microsoft is growing in all
| categories and that Microsoft's edge is dulling may be the dim future that
| has investors hesitating to pay much for the company's business results.
`----

http://www.istockanalyst.com/article/viewarticle+articleid_2282042~zoneid_Home~title_Van-Knapp's-Take-On.html

Recent:

Europe's not finished with Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's troubles in Europe are far from over, as Neelie Kroes, The EU
| competition commissioner, has warned. We review the past and future options
| for Microsoft and the European Commission.
|
| [...]
|
| During the US anti-trust trials, Steven McGeady, a vice president of Intel,
| testified against Microsoft, Intel's most important trading partner,
| asserting that Microsoft intended to "embrace, extend and extinguish"
| competition by substituting open standards with proprietary protocols, and
| claimed that Intel had been warned to cease development of its Native Signal
| Processing audio and video technology, which promised to vastly improve user
| experience of the desktop - or else Microsoft would bypass Intel and develop
| Windows exclusively for AMD and National Semiconductor chips. "It was clear
| to us that if this chip did not run Windows it would be useless in the
| marketplace," McGeady testified. "The threat was both credible and
| terrifying."
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/191772/europes-not-finished-with-microsoft.html

EU: Europarlement testing Ubuntu, OpenOffice and Firefox

,----[ Quote ]
| The European Parliament's IT department is testing the use of GNU/Linux
| distribution Ubuntu, OpenOffice, Firefox and other Open Source applications,
| the British MEP James Nicholson explained last week in a letter to Italian
| MEP Marco Cappato.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7565

Is Microsoft Now Banned from EU Contracts?

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=697&blogid=14