[News] [Rival] Insider Speaks About Microsoft's Business Fall

Eight Years of Wrongness

,----[ Quote ]
| That performance record would be embarrassing enough on its own, but it comes
| in spite of going through an unprecedented amount of our cash on buybacks
| (nearly $43 billion worth in just the past three fiscal years) and other
|         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| schemes that were supposed to drive the stock.
|
| [...]
|
| Some readers may be surprised that I was initially a Ballmer supporter.
`----

http://msftextrememakeover.blogspot.com/2008/06/eight-years-of-wrongness.html

Very long and damaging account. It seems to be coming from an anonymous
Microsoft employee.

So, Microsoft's buybacks even exceeded the planned program ($36 billion). This
means that the company ended up in its 52-week low _despite_ pumping biblical
proportion of its own money into the story.

Recent:

Five reasons why it's not business as usual for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Bill Gates will be leaving Microsoft for good at the end of the month and
| Microsoft would have you believe that it will be business as usual for
| Microsoft. I understand they also have a great bridge between Manhattan and
| Brooklyn that they'd like to sell you. Cheap!
|
| [...]
|
| 2) Microsoft has already dropped Vista. Microsoft officials will never admit
| it, but there's no question about it: They've given up on Vista.
|
| [...]
|
| 3) Microsoft's already lost its technical expertise
|
| [...]
|
| 5) Last, but not least, Microsoft has lost its vision. Think about it.
| Microsoft didn't see the shift coming to cheap, lightweight laptops. So, now
| Microsoft has had to reverse itself and give XP Home a new lease on life. I'm
| quite sure that they'll also soon have to bring XP Pro out of retirement too.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/five_reasons_why_its_not_business_as_usual_for_microsoft

Microsoft sees slide in profits