[News] ODF Alliance Pleased with EU Backing of Open Standards

The ODF Alliance Backs the EU's Call for Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| "The end is near for the era of public information being locked-in a closed
| format," said Marino Marcich, Managing Director of the ODF Alliance, in
| response to Kroes' comments made June 10th in a speech before OpenForum
| Europe. "The OpenDocument Format, with its status as the only internationally
| recognized open standard document format with a wide range of supporting
| applications, is a critical tool for governments to help end the era of
| lock-in."
`----

http://ostatic.com/164900-blog/the-odf-alliance-backs-the-eus-call-for-open-source#rss

ISO: there can be only one

,----[ Quote ]
| ONLY ONE STANDARD type of electronic document will survive the struggle for
| supremacy between convicted monopolist Microsoft and the Open Source
| movement, said the world's leading standards regulator.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/06/12/iso_one

Recent:

Microsoft influencing partner NGOs to support OOXML in India

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is encouraging its business partners to promote its Office Open XML
| specification (OOXML) to the Indian Bureau of Standards (BIS) and Ministry of
| IT. This move has incensed supporters of the rival OpenDocument Format (ODF)
| who fear that the "soft" Indian state may not be able to stand up to
| Microsoft pressure tactics.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/128528

Microsoft India using NGOs to fake support for OOXML

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-44038/microsoft-india-using-ngos-to-fake-support-for-ooxml

Microsoft Launches OnMyWay

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has just launched a program called OnMyWay, by which Microsoft will
| offer training and financial help to young people.
|
| [...]
|
| I have a working theory for your consideration. I noticed something striking.
| While the ads are being run so far only in those four countries, and it's
| supposed to be a global branding campaign, if you look at who is on the list
| of those who have gotten help from the program already, you see groups from
| the UK, the Czech Republic, Sweden, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Finland and
| Italy. I took a look at how each country on this list voted on OOXML in
| March.
|
| The Czech Republic, the UK, Germany, Denmark, Finland and Norway all voted to
| approve OOXML.
|
| This was a change for each of them. In September, the Czech Republic, the UK,
| Denmark, and Norway had voted to disapprove, so this was a change in
| Microsoft's favor. Finland abstained in September, and it voted to approve in
| March as well.

Shenanigans Alleged on Road to OOXML Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| The events leading up to the ISO's decision on OOXML can best be described as
| strange.
|
| Take the case of KT 182, the Polish technical committee responsible for the
| OOXML standardization process, as described on Groklaw: Chairperson Elzbieta
| Andrukiewicz was instructed that KT 182 should abstain from voting if a
| consensus was not achieved. Well, it wasn't, and she said the members who
| were absent could vote by e-mail E-Mail Marketing Software - Free Trial.
| Click Here. -- but if they didn't vote, she'd take their non-response as a
| yes.
|
| Later, when presenting the results of the ballot resolution, she showed a
| slide that claimed 98 percent of the OOXML issues had been resolved during
| the KT 182 meeting.
|
| When reminded this wasn't true, and told that the author of the PowerPoint
| file was Paul Pesch, platform strategy manager at Microsoft Netherlands, she
| threatened to sue anyone who repeated the assertion that Pesch was the
| author.
|
| That slide had been shown at another meeting, and one of the Brazilian
| delegates had complained about it.

South Africa appeals against OOXML, call your Standards Body now!

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-61468/south-africa-appeals-against-ooxml-call-your-standards-body-now