Re: [News] Debian GNU/Linux Powers Large Supercomputer in Germany

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Recent:
>
> Debian Linux cluster beats supercomputer in tsunami warnings
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | The Philippine government's official weather service, PAGASA, has
> | replaced its SGI supercomputer with a clustered Debian Linux system that
> | can process information vital to protection against typhoons, floods,
> | droughts, tsunamis and other wild weather conditions at a fraction of
> | the cost.
> |
> | The cluster includes eight PCs running as a single node, connected via a
> | gigabit switch, each with dual 64-bit Intel Xeon processors running the
> | Debian Linux OS.
> |
> | "We tried several Linux flavours, including Red Hat, Mandrake, Fedora
> | etc," said Alan Pineda, head of ICT and flood forecasting at PAGASA.
> `----
>
> http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/index.php/id;1611547855

I would NEVER have seen this article. And this is why I look for your posts,
each and every day.

Here... a cluster made from 8 PC's running dual processor Xeons and Debian
Linux, and has OUT PERFORMED and SGI super computer on both economy and
performance.

That, my friends, is news. And this is Linux Advocacy at it's best.

Cheers, Roy.

--

Jerry McBride (jmcbride@xxxxxxxxxx)