[News] Schools SHouls Adopt Linux for Education, Not Windows/Office Training

Linux in Education: Concepts Not Applications

,----[ Quote ]
| At the grade school level though, we need to teach children not only how to
| use technology, but how to learn to use technology too. If we can offer
| students the use of Windows, Linux, and Macintosh, and be versed in Web 2.0,
| handheld computing, and application concepts -- we prepare them to succeed.
| Isn't that what we ultimately want for kids? For them to succeed in whatever
| they do?
|
| Linux is the PERFECT tool for education. It plays well with other operating
| systems, and offers such a wide variety of applications, that it's silly not
| to expose children to its usage. Oh, and there's also that little thing
| called cost. For many schools, that alone can seal the deal. Linux offers
| more, costs less, and can even fit well with existing tools.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linux-education-concepts-not-applications

Recent:

FR: Education Ministry encourages Open Source use

,----[ Quote ]
| The department at the French Ministry of Education that is handling
| purchasing of software and software licenses is increasing its Open Source
| offerings to some 1.5 million teachers and education workers in 250
| institutes France.
|
| [...]
|
| The discount agreement with Mandriva is valid for the next four years. How
| many of France's postgraduate schools and universities today use GNU/Linux
| distribution Mandriva is not recorded, said Verez.
`----

http://ec.europa.eu/idabc/en/document/7663/469

Related:

Russian schools abandon Windows after piracy scare

,----[ Quote ]