Re: [News] PackageKit Makes Linux Packages More Universal

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Hadron
<hadronquark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 21:56:43 +0200
<g40s9s$ne9$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> "Ezekiel" <y@xxxxx> writes:
>
>> "The Ghost In The Machine" <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Moshe Goldfarb.
>>> <brick_n_straw@xxxxxxxxx>
>>> wrote
>>> on Thu, 26 Jun 2008 14:26:18 -0400

>>> Try looking at the webpage:
>>>
>>> http://www.packagekit.org/
>>>
>>> Do they think we're illiterate?  Ye gods.
>>
>> Ye gods is right. Is this targeting "developers" or small children in 3rd
>> world countries that just got their first OLPC handed to them?
>>
>> I've seen webpages that are "dumbed down" for the user but this cuts the
>> cake.
>
> I like it. It's clean, concise and well written.

Past the home page, perhaps.  I'll admit I didn't peruse
the rest of it.  I'd redo the homepage, certainly, to
make it more appealing to a wider audience.  Something
along the lines of openoffice.org, which doesn't
insult my intelligence/literacy, though I can't say
I like the "I want to " approach the OO website uses.

As it is, packagekit.org is reminiscent (to me, anyway)
of http://www.mrmen.com/ (which actually is a pretty
good Flash-based website, and a great time-waster if
one wants to wander through the two dozen characters (!)
and explore their admittedly limited personalities)
or http://pbskids.org/teletubbies/teletubbyland.html
(just in case one can't get enough of those lovable(?)
fuzzy things, I guess).

Even http://www.sesameworkshop.org/sesamestreet/ is
more complicated than http://www.packagekit.org/ .

I'll be the first to admit, though, that it's easy
to criticize, hard to develop, even harder to fix.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.
Windows.  The choice of a bunch of people who like very weird behavior on
a regular basis, random crashes, and "extend, embrace, and extinguish".