[News] Microsoft Shows 'Love' for Open Source with Another FUD Attack

Microsoft starts a FUD war against open-source Symbian

,----[ Quote ]
| That didn't take long. Nokia announced just last week that it would be open
| sourcing Symbian, the world's top mobile operating system by market share,
| and a few days later Microsoft has started a FUD war against the move.
|
| The ironic thing in this Microsoft FUD offensive is that it's using precisely
| the wrong example from open source to wage the war: Linux. While it could
| have found some examples of open source that fragments, is more costly than
| proprietary software, etc.,
|
| [...]
|
| Try competing on the quality of your product. In mobile, Microsoft has always
| been an also-ran. This will not change until Microsoft stops believing its
| own FUD and actually invests more heavily in its mobile initiatives, by which
| I mean in its technology, not in its marketing. Windows Mobile has never been
| very good, even back in the early days when I competed with them while at
| Lineo. It's time for an upgrade, Microsoft.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9980413-16.html

Related:

There is a light that never goes out

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft has been in the Linux news again, with their Tony Soprano-like
| CEO Steve Ballmer claiming 'the fact that Linux uses our intellectual
| property is a problem for our shareholders.' Problem indeed, as if this
| were true then Microsoft is not getting paid for their 'Intellectual
| Property' by all those millions of infringing Linux users out there.
| That means you, especially if you're reading this magazine. It
| definitely includes me. I don't remember sending my tribute to
| 'Capo' Ballmer for all my Linux installs, and he thinks I owe him.
|
| "But 'Intellectual Property' is a weasel phrase..."
`----

http://samba.org/samba/news/articles/low_point/column23.html

Why Linux Will Turn Microsoft's Ballmer Into A Boy Named Sue

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/05/why_linux_will.html