[News] [Rival] The Monolithic Windows Has No Future ("Windows Me 2.0")

Windows Could Use a Rush of Fresh Air

,----[ Quote ]
| A MONOLITHIC operating system like Windows perpetuates an obsolete design. We
| don’t need to load up our machines with bloated layers we won’t use.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/29/technology/29digi.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&ref=technology&pagewanted=print
http://tinyurl.com/6eo7ds

It's still monolithic. Microsoft will need to start all over again, but without
Allchin, Poole, Valentine, Gates and others, who's left to lead?

Tevanian: Does Microsoft have the guts to slim down Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, Avie was referring to an atmosphere of desperation, as the Times
| calls it, just before Apple started the Mac OS X project. Microsoft,
| possibly, hasn't hit "rock bottom" yet, and therefore doesn't feel a need to
| build something from scratch.
|
| Personally, I thought "Windows 7" was going to be a leaner,
| less-backward-compatible build, but I was wrong (as I frequently am): "Our
| approach with Windows 7 is to build off the same core architecture as Windows
| Vista," said Bill Veghte, a Microsoft VP. Hello, Windows Me 2.0.
`----

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/06/29/tevanian-does-microsoft-have-the-guts-to-slim-down-windows/

They said that they failed to make it modular, even for the future. The top
programmers left the company.

Related:

Veteran Windows architect resigns from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| On the heels of a week of news of a number of Microsoft executive departures
| and reshufflings, another has come to light. Rob Short, Corporate Vice
| President for Windows Core, has resigned from the company.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1110

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten..."

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
|
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows
Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
| architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
| ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
| core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
| Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
|
| [...]
|
| He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
| Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
| awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
| come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."
`----

http://www.emailbattles.com/2006/09/11/ms-insider-the-office-crew-isnt-smart-enough-to-supplant-real-windows-developers/
http://tinyurl.com/35eqrt

Microsoft's Vista Blogger Quits As Redmond Exodus Builds

,----[ Quote ]
| White did not provide a reason for his decision. To be sure, his position
| could not have been an easy one. White's posts often elicited hundreds of
| glitches and quirks.
|
| His departure also raises questions about Microsoft's ability to retain
| talent in the Web 2.0 world.
|
| [...]
|
| Earlier this year, Microsoft Business Division president Jeff Raikes said he
| would retire in September, to be replaced by former Juniper Networks chief
| operating officer Stephen Elop.
|
| Microsoft's merger and acquisitions chief Bruce Jaffe stepped down at the end
| of February.
|
| To boot, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates will give up full-time duties at the
| company in July.
|
| The departures highlight one of Microsoft's biggest challenges as a mature
| company: attracting and retaining Silicon Valley's top talent. In its early
| days, Microsoft could entice recruits with an entrepreneurial environment and
| stock options that eventually turned secretaries into millionaires.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207001276&subSection=All+Stories

Vista marketing chief to bid Microsoft adieu

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1158