[News] [Rival] The Monolithic Windows Has No Future ("Windows Me 2.0")

Windows Could Use a Rush of Fresh Air

,----[ Quote ]
| A MONOLITHIC operating system like Windows perpetuates an obsolete design. We
| don’t need to load up our machines with bloated layers we won’t use.

It's still monolithic. Microsoft will need to start all over again, but without
Allchin, Poole, Valentine, Gates and others, who's left to lead?

Tevanian: Does Microsoft have the guts to slim down Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Actually, Avie was referring to an atmosphere of desperation, as the Times
| calls it, just before Apple started the Mac OS X project. Microsoft,
| possibly, hasn't hit "rock bottom" yet, and therefore doesn't feel a need to
| build something from scratch.
| Personally, I thought "Windows 7" was going to be a leaner,
| less-backward-compatible build, but I was wrong (as I frequently am): "Our
| approach with Windows 7 is to build off the same core architecture as Windows
| Vista," said Bill Veghte, a Microsoft VP. Hello, Windows Me 2.0.

They said that they failed to make it modular, even for the future. The top
programmers left the company.

Veteran Windows architect resigns from Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| On the heels of a week of news of a number of Microsoft executive departures
| and reshufflings, another has come to light. Rob Short, Corporate Vice
| President for Windows Core, has resigned from the company.

More than half of Microsoft Vista needs re-writing

,----[ Quote ]
| "Up to 60% of the code in the new consumer version of Microsoft new Vista
| operating system is set to be rewritten..."

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| "With Alchin retiring, MarkL and MarkZ, two of the most talented
| architects in MS already having left, the picture gets really
| ugly for the Windows division," my friend claimed, and the BV's
| core team members, Ian McDonald, Jack Mayo, Todd Wanke, Clyde
| Rodriguez and others are starting to connect the dots.
| [...]
| He concluded ominously. "A trainwreck of biblical proportions looms.
| Pick a good seat on the sidelines, trainwrecks this large take
| awhile to complete. Vista may be the last MS OS for some time to
| come, especially if Cutler decides to play hardball."

Microsoft's Vista Blogger Quits As Redmond Exodus Builds

,----[ Quote ]
| White did not provide a reason for his decision. To be sure, his position
| could not have been an easy one. White's posts often elicited hundreds of
| glitches and quirks.
| His departure also raises questions about Microsoft's ability to retain
| talent in the Web 2.0 world.
| [...]
| Earlier this year, Microsoft Business Division president Jeff Raikes said he
| would retire in September, to be replaced by former Juniper Networks chief
| operating officer Stephen Elop.
| Microsoft's merger and acquisitions chief Bruce Jaffe stepped down at the end
| of February.
| To boot, Microsoft chairman Bill Gates will give up full-time duties at the
| company in July.
| The departures highlight one of Microsoft's biggest challenges as a mature
| company: attracting and retaining Silicon Valley's top talent. In its early
| days, Microsoft could entice recruits with an entrepreneurial environment and
| stock options that eventually turned secretaries into millionaires.

Vista marketing chief to bid Microsoft adieu

,----[ Quote ]