[News] Linux 2.6.27 Merge Window Opening Soon

2.6.26: almost there

,----[ Quote ]
| Look for more change once the 2.6.27 merge window opens. I’ll be cleaning out
| a bunch of older stuff then as well.
`----

http://linux-foundation.org/weblogs/lwf/2008/06/27/2626-almost-there/

Recent:

Kernel log: New graphics drivers and stable kernels; details about
Linux-staging

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the release of pre-release version seven a few days ago, the
| development of Linux 2.6.26 is now in its final stages; however, looking at
| the error list, various error reports on the LKML and some recent changes to
| the main development branch it is possible that there will be an eighth
| pre-release version. It is unlikely, however, that the next Linux version
| released by Linus Torvalds will take more than another two weeks to complete.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-log-New-graphics-drivers-and-stable-kernels-details-about-Linux-staging--/news/111010
http://tinyurl.com/5mnc6o

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

,----[ Quote ]
| We, the undersigned Linux kernel developers, consider any closed-source Linux
| kernel module or driver to be harmful and undesirable. We have repeatedly
| found them to be detrimental to Linux users, businesses, and the greater
| Linux ecosystem. Such modules negate the openness, stability, flexibility,
| and maintainability of the Linux development model and shut their users off
| from the expertise of the Linux community. Vendors that provide closed-source
| kernel modules force their customers to give up key Linux advantages or
| choose new vendors. Therefore, in order to take full advantage of the cost
| savings and shared support benefits open source has to offer, we urge vendors
| to adopt a policy of supporting their customers on Linux with open-source
| kernel code.
|
| We speak only for ourselves, and not for any company we might work for today,
| have in the past, or will in the future.
`----

http://www.kroah.com/log/linux/lkm_position_statement.html

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]