[News] On UMPCs and GNU/Linux's Brand Power

Linux and Open Source Marketing: Achieving Success the Hard Way

,----[ Quote ]
| So if marketing to niche markets is the key to victory, where should Linux
| and Open Source start?  Well, the first place would be to find a market that
| is currently open territory.  Of course, open territory does not necessarily
| mean that the market is devoid of a solution, or competition.  It simply
| means that the barriers to entry are very low.  The first of these areas is
| in UMPC's.  In this world, Linux and FOSS can dive in and grow nearly
| uncontested.  That's already been proven to great effect so far, as well over
| 50% of all UMPC's are running Linux.
|
| [...]
|
| So before you condemn Novell (well, we've got other reasons to condemn them),
| Red Hat, IBM or even Canonical (Ubuntu) for targeting business users before
| home users, consider this.  They are in fact taking the right steps to ensure
| that Linux is at the top and no longer seen as just a fringe OS used by a
| bunch of pasty skinned geeks hiding in their parents' basements.  Linux will
| become mainstream in time.  We just have to keep fighting and trust that the
| push by the big-business-focused distros is actually in our personal best
| interests as well at the end of the day.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=432

Recent:

Linux success on UMPCs nudges Microsoft’s XP strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| To that point, Ubuntu is releasing a UMPC-only version of Ubuntu 8.04 called
| Ubuntu Netbook Remix for Intel Atom-based netbooks and UMPCs. Because many
| current users of Linux-powered UMPCs may not even know they’re using open
| source, the hope is that more obvious “branding” will result in more people
| willing to run Linux on their primary PCs.
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=218

The year of the Linux … Mini Laptop!

,----[ Quote ]