[News] Sun Makes MySQL Bundles for Revenue; Iona Acquisition Pondered

Sun Announces 'unlimited' GlassFish-MySQL Bundle

,----[ Quote ]
| The package bundles Sun's GlassFish application server along with its MySQL
| database.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147656/sun_announces_unlimited_glassfishmysql_bundle.html

Will Iona's Open Source Strategy Survive Progress Acquisition?

,----[ Quote ]
| In the meantime, Progress can assist in its applications clients move to the
| more modern computing paradigms while Iona can help on the back-end for
| integration and high performance transactions while broadening Progress'
| share of wallet in more enterprises and verticals. And now, viola, Progress
| is an open source company.

MySQL quits Torvalds' former BitKeeper love interest

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's open-source database has migrated its code to Bazaar, a distributed,
| free revision control system sponsored and supported by Canonical, also
| supporting the Ubuntu Linux distro.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/19/mysql_dumps_bitkeeper/

Bazaar becomes a GNU project

,----[ Quote ]
| The Bazaar version control system <http://bazaar-vcs.org/> recently became
| a GNU project.  We set out several years ago to build a version control
| system that would suit the collaboration and cooperation at the heart of
| free software, and Bazaar is the result of that effort.
`----

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2008-05/msg00012.html

Mickos: Sun may back off - a bit - on plan for MySQL add-ons

,----[ Quote ]
| Caught in a firestorm of criticism in the blogosphere and online forums,
| officials at Sun Microsystems are now saying that some upcoming online backup
| features may not necessarily be made available only to paying users of the
| MySQL open-source database.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=781176607&rid=-50

MySQL chief to users: Don't expect big disruptions post-Sun

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you hoping to try to sell more into what's been Oracle's turf?
|
| Mickos: We always say that we're not trying to eat Oracle's lunch. We're
| trying to eat their dessert.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10787_3-9919582-60.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Sun promises agenda-free MySQL development agenda

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/04/15/sun_mysql_promise_new_database/