[News] No Source Code, No Sale; Wine 1.1.0 Released

Nvidia says no to free drivers, I say no to Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux kernel developers issue a statement signed by about 100 developers that
| they find non-free kernel modules to be undesirable and harmful. As they
| say "Such modules negate the openness, stability, flexibility, and
| maintainability of the Linux development model and shut their users off from
| the expertise of the Linux community. Vendors that provide closed-source
| kernel modules force their customers to give up key Linux advantages or
| choose new vendors."

[Wine 1.1.0 Released]

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wine development release 1.1.0 is now available.
| What's new in this release (see below for details):
|   - Many more gdiplus functions implemented.
|   - Improved graphics tablet support.
|   - Many Richedit fixes and improvements.

Days ago:

How NVidia impedes Free Desktop adoption.

,----[ Quote ]
| nvidia.ko: The NVidia driver is the single component in a KDE4 / Free
| Operating system stack causing us most of the hard-to-solve problems. In
| other words, nvidia.ko has grave technical shortcomings.

Linux Foundation points finger at Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Though a statement issued Monday does not cite Nvidia by name, Linux
| Foundation Technical Advisory Board Chair James Bottomley cited Nvidia in a
| phone interview. "My intent is to point out the problems Nvidia has been
| causing themselves with their binary-only (drivers)," he said. "They are
| certainly one of the few companies sticking to a binary-only strategy."
| Binary-only means the drivers are essentially closed.

NVidia says no to request to release open source drivers, once again

,----[ Quote ]
| Nvidia reiterated that it won’t provide open source drivers for Linux because
| the company claims there is no need for it.
| Nvidia provides binary Linux drivers and has open sourced some drivers such
| as the nv X driver and other utilities that work with the proprietary driver,
| including the installer, config and settings.The company is a leading
| provider of graphics cards and software for the desktop and embraces a cross
| platform strategy.

Kernel space: drivers that don't make the kernel scene

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux supports most hardware "out of the box" without adding a driver. Most
| of the missing drivers are proprietary, from uncooperative manufacturers, but
| there are a few where the license is right but the actual code is still
| missing. Why?

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules