[News] GPL Deeper in Mainstream with Alfresco-Adobe Deal; Eclipse Grows Up

Alfresco-Adobe Pact Pushes Open Source Toward the Mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| The surprise was two-fold, that Adobe felt it was necessary to add content
| management services at all and that it chose open source vendor Alfresco as
| its content management partner.
|
| [...]
|
| If the Alfresco-Adobe deal can help push open source further into the
| enterprise mainstream, it will not only be a big deal for Alfresco, but could
| be a big step for other open source vendors as well.

Eclipse Ganymede improves SOA tools

,----[ Quote ]
| The Eclipse Foundation has announced the annual release of its open
| development platform. In line with tradition, this package is named Ganymede,
| after one of Jupiter's moons. The last two predecessors were named after
| Callisto and Europa. The new package contains programs from 23 Eclipse
| project teams, with more than 18 million lines of code.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/110055/from/rss09

Recent:

Open Enterprise Interview: Mike Milinkovich

,----[ Quote ]
| The other thing that most people don’t appreciate is that the evolution is
| community driven. The Eclipse Foundation is not a software company that sets
| a strategy and then executes. We rely upon our community members to set the
| direction of the technology. It results in a very organicand dynamic
| environment that is very different from what I have experienced working in a
| corporate setting.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=767&pn=1

Related:

Can Linux Get a Lift From Eclipse?

,----[ Quote ]
| Eager to shed its reputation as a tool just for Java developers, Eclipse has
| quickly embraced newer languages such as PHP, Python and Ruby—as well as
| older ones like Ada, COBOL and C. But when it comes to enabling native Linux
| development, Eclipse isn’t moving as fast. It’s not uncommon for applications
| originating from Eclipse to target Linux servers...
`----

http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,21957,p,0.html

Old:

Eclipse Adoption on The Rise