[News] More ATI/AMD Drivers for Linux with New Improvements

xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 RC2 Driver Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Twelve days after the first xf86-video-ati 6.9.0 Release Candidate, the
| second RC release is now available for testing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjU0Ng

AMD Delivers OpenGL Performance Increase for Linux Professional

,----[ Quote ]
| Version 8.49.7 of the ATI Catalyst Driver is now available for download via
| the ATI Catalyst Linux software suite...
`----

http://newsticker.welt.de/index.php?channel=fin&module=smarthouse&id=746092

Recent:

AMD Makes An Evolutionary Leap In Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Tux being part of their licensed box design, forthcoming CrossFire support,
| and other major features coming are major wins for the Linux community. For
| those concerned that AMD is attempting to build back up its binary blockade,
| don't worry as their open-source strategy will continue with the RV770. AMD
| engineers are in the process of sanitizing the programming documentation for
| this brand new GPU for public release in the coming weeks. We suspect the
| xf86-video-ati and xf86-video-radeonhd developers will have the documentation
| even sooner under NDA. In addition, the open-sourcing of KGrids and TCore
| will be relevant and helpful for the 2D and 3D RV770 open-source support.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_evolution&num=1

AMD teraflop processor is all about open-source

,----[ Quote ]
| The Stream SDK’s Brook+ front-end is available as open source code.
`----

http://www.electronicsweekly.com/Articles/2008/06/16/43935/amd-teraflop-processor-is-all-about-open-source.htm
http://tinyurl.com/68qs26

AMD Releases Stream SDK For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA's competition for Stream computing is CUDA, which is the Compute
| Unified Device Architecture, or CUDA for short. CUDA has been supported on
| Linux now for some time and NVIDIA is in the process of bringing PhysX to
| CUDA, for physics acceleration thanks to their acquisition of AGEIA. Intel's
| competition is Ct, or C for Throughput Computing.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd_stream_released&num=1

AMD Stream SDK Coming To Linux Soon

,----[ Quote ]
| NVIDIA has long supported their CUDA (Compute Unified Device Architecture)
| technology on Linux for allowing general-purpose code algorithms to be
| executed on the graphics processor, while AMD and their Stream Computing
| support has been absent on Linux. AMD has only been supporting their Stream
| SDK on Windows XP, but this morning we have confirmation that the Software
| Development Kit will be released for Linux in the coming days.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ2Mw

ATI/AMD's Open-Source Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| Starting off the X.Org talks at FOSDEM 2008 was AMD's John Bridgman, who has
| been leading the AMD GPG open-source efforts. John had talked briefly about
| the history of their open-source efforts for the R500+ series and the
| evolution of AMD GPU hardware. Among the interesting comments made were that
| TexturedVideo/X-Video support for the R500/600 may be coming quite soon, DRM
| and Mesa work forthcoming, open-source multi-GPU multi-GPU support is on the
| road-map, and they will be re-releasing R200 programming documents. The RV620
| and RV635 documentation is expected in the near future.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fosdem_08_bridgman&num=1

Could AMD move open desktop Linux market?

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD’s recent move to fully support open source graphics could be the best
| news desktop Linux has had in a long time.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1427

AMD Launches Open GPU Website

,----[ Quote ]