[News] [Rival] Entire Nation Left Without Internet Due to Microsoft Windows Zombies

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Entire Nation Left Without Internet Due to Microsoft Windows Zombies
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:17:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Spam DDoS assault cuts off south Pacific state

,----[ Quote ]
| It could take days to full restore service, the general manager of the
| Marshall Islands National Telecommunications Authority (NTA) told Radio New
| Zealand International. Systems at the monopoly carrier were taken offline by
| a flood of email traffic from compromised PCs.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/25/email_ddos/

Considering the current pace of cybercrime, a limited ban on Windows is just a
matter of time. It's already not permitted in some places.

Yesterday:

What?  Give Up My Precious Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| Fancy yourself a crusader? Think Green all the time? That’s going to help
| with the environment, but do you want to make a real difference in the world
| of computing and the Internet?
|
| Then uninstall Windows and install Linux.
|
| No. Seriously.
|
| Oh you’re probably saying “It’s those silly Linux guys bashing Microsoft
| again”, and normally it’d be true. I’ve been known to tweak the nose of our
| loyal opposition/beloved partner now and then, but this time it’s truly
| different.  I recommend people to get off of Consumer Desktop Windows for the
| same reason I also recommend seatbelts and stopping smoking.  It’s not IF
| you’ll have a problem, it’s WHEN.
|
| A Little History - What’s a BotNet?
`----

http://opsamericas.com/?p=646

Recent:

Bots rule in cyberspace

,----[ Quote ]
| USA TODAY REPORTS that on an average day, 40 per cent of the 800 million
| computers connected to the Internet are bots used to send out spam, viruses
| and to mine for sensitive personal data.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/03/17/bots-rule-cyberspace

Botnets Running Rampant

,----[ Quote ]