[News] More Devices Run with Linux (Hauppauge HD-PVR, Silex WiFi, Roku IP-radio)

  • Subject: [News] More Devices Run with Linux (Hauppauge HD-PVR, Silex WiFi, Roku IP-radio)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 08:03:36 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Hauppauge HD-PVR for Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Are you a Linux user dying to try out the new Hauppauge HD-PVR component
| recorder with your MythTV HTPC?  Janne Grunau has posted his alpha version of
| his HD-PVR Linux Drivers this month.
`----

http://brentevans.blogspot.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-for-linux.html

Tri-band SDIO WiFi card runs Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Silex Technology announced a Linux-friendly 802.11a/b/g WiFi module offered
| in an SDIO card form factor. The SX-SDWAG is aimed at embedded OEM
| applications that require low power consumption, such as battery-operated
| devices in the medical, weights and measures, and transportation industries,
| says Silex.

Review: Roku’s rockin IP-radio

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Roku used a custom version of Linux to control its
| recently-introduced Netflix set-top box, this device runs on ADI’s
| proprietary VisualDisplay Kernel (PDF download) operating system.
`----

http://www.deviceguru.com/2008/06/23/review-rokus-rockin-ip-radio/#more-85

Recent:

Why Linux won the embedded market?

,----[ Quote ]
| One story not told often enough involves Linux’ growing domination of the
| embedded market.
|
| In this space Linux usually stacks up against older Real Time Operating
| Systems (RTOS). The decision by Wind River, the largest RTOS vendor, to
| migrate toward Linux was a turning point.
|
| There has been no turning back. But this is not an open source story. In
| fact, the embedded Linux business looks a lot like the rest of the embedded
| market.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2501

Microsoft Worried Over Linux Dominance In Embedded Space

,----[ Quote ]
| Renames its family of products to target the embedded market.
`----

http://www.efytimes.com/efytimes/26010/news.htm

Who's afraid of embedded Linux? Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| ...Microsoft is fighting a losing battle here. It's like gravity.
| Eventually you just stop fighting and learn to accept it. Even Microsoft.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9919632-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

An interview with Jim Ready

,----[ Quote ]
| We can all be quite proud of the enormous progress Linux has made in
| transforming the embedded OS marketplace from one which was highly fragmented
| and largely devoid of standards, to an environment based upon a highly
| functional OS which is a truly open standard: Linux.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/285099/

Linux prominent in chip show awards

,----[ Quote ]