[News] [Rival] Microsoft Acquisition Shows Lack of Direction

Is Microsoft Abandoning Search Advertising For TV?

| In the fallout of the recent Google Yahoo! advertising deal, Microsoft has
| been left pondering whether it will ever make a dent in Google's ever growing
| search advertising market share. A newly announced deal with TV advertising
| platform, Navic Networks, suggests that in the short term, Microsoft is
| focusing on advertising channels outside of the search landscape it has
| pursued for so long.
`----

http://www.searchnewz.com/topstory/news/sn-2-20080624IsMicrosoftAbandoningSearchAdvertisingForTV.html

Another takeover (good riddance):

Progress Software acquires Iona--good luck

| Having dealt with Iona personally over the last two years as they
| have "participated" in the open-source community I can say that I am very
| pleased that the company is being taken out. For all their open-source
| positing, Iona has been divisive in the community and clouded the market with
| FUD. I don't see how or why Progress would continue with the open-source
| efforts, which haven't been particularly lucrative.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-9976945-62.html

Recent:

Microsoft's investigation into the subconscious

,----[ Quote ]
| When a Microsoft Corp. patent application for a method of sorting brain waves
| surfaced late last year, it drew quips that the company now plans to read PC
| users' minds, in addition to selling them software.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/why-microsoft-so-interested-our/story.aspx?guid=%7B5FC1EC89%2DA444%2D4BD9%2DB436%2DFD8BBE879E26%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/2rom8x

Related:

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The adware framework would leave almost no data untouched in its quest to
| sell you stuff. It would inspect "user document files, user e-mail files,
| user music files, downloaded podcasts, computer settings, computer status
| messages (e.g., a low memory status or low printer ink)," and more. How could
| we have been so blind as to not see the marketing value in computer status
| messages?
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]