[News] CEO Talks About High Value of Free Software Ecosystem

Alfresco CEO John Powell on the Value of Free

,----[ Quote ]
| To John Powell, CEO of Alfresco Software, free is worth billions -- $60
| billion, to be exact. That's the value Powell sees in the open source
| software market when one looks at what companies save by using it. Powell
| says OSS deployment in big business is ready to grow fast.

Sourcefire: Don't Snort at open-source security

,----[ Quote ]
| Sourcefire has an enviable position in the security world. Its open-source
| software is widely used for intrusion detection and prevention, and its
| hardware appliances brought in revenues of around $56m (£28m) last year.
`----

http://resources.zdnet.co.uk/articles/features/0,1000002000,39438394,00.htm

Recent:

Microsoft's Yahoo foray signals its shaky grip on the desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| WHO'S THE bigger loser from Microsoft's withdrawn bid for Yahoo? Investors
| certainly punished the Internet company on Monday for letting the prospective
| deal go away, and they enthusiastically cheered Microsoft's abandonment of a
| $42 billion bid. But a jog through the numbers, starting from before the
| software giant showed its hand, suggests that it's actually Microsoft that
| has emerged most damaged from the affair.
|
| The truth is, Microsoft shareholders were never entirely sold on the Yahoo
| takeover. At one point in early March, they had sliced more than $50 billion
| off the software giant's pre-bid market value.
|
| [...]
|
| Even after Monday's relief rally, Microsoft is worth some $24 billion less
|                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| than it was before it bid for Yahoo on Feb. 1.
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft's bid for Yahoo was seen by many as a signal the company recognized
| its grip on the desktop may be slipping. That, more than anything else, may
| account for the billions that have gone missing from Microsoft's value.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121002286060868719.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Microsoft earnings post-mortem: The cash cows quiver

,----[ Quote ]
| I can’t help but wonder if the lackluster Windows/Office results also can be
| attributed to Microsoft brass’s complete and crazy obsession with Google (and
| taking over Yahoo) has resulted in no one minding the Windows store. Kevin
| Johnson, the head of Microsoft’s Platforms & Services division seems to be so
| laser-focused on the online-ad business these days that he almost seems to
| have forgotten Microsoft is still in the software business, too.
|
| Microsoft execs’ claims about walking away from the Yahoo deal are nothing
| more than bluster. A protracted hostile takeover bid is just going to
| distract not just employees in Microsoft’s online services business, but
| company management, too. It’s not a pretty picture.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1362

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]