[News] Free Open Source Phones the Future, Openmoko Signs Five Distributors!

Open source, Google Android, iPhone 3G, profit for firms happiness for
devs/consumers

,----[ Quote ]
| With Open Source there are many options for us consumers which gives us great
| software for free, the downside to this is that not many consumers know about
| this and still go out and they buy software that can be downloaded at a cost,
| which is a pretty similar form for free thanks to the much talked about Open
| Source.
|
| [...]
|
| We all know that open source mobile phones are the future and Apple iPhone is
| a great example where devs are continually making apps for this handset,
| there is another software package called Open Office which is available
| thanks to open source which could bring spreadsheets, graphics, presentations
| and word processing to mobile phones, the new Apple iPhone has many of these
`----

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2008/06/24/open-source-google-android-iphone-3g-profit-for-firms-happiness-for-devs-consumers/
http://tinyurl.com/599o76

Openmoko Signs Five Distributors for Freerunner Open Source Mobile Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| Openmoko, creator of the first completely open mobile computing platform,
| today announced agreements with five distributors for the Neo Freerunner Open
| Source mobile phone. Today, Openmoko will begin shipping the next generation
| Neo Freerunner to Pulster, Golden Delicious Computers and TRIsoft located in
| Germany, Bearstech in France and IDA Systems based in India.
`----

http://www.ad-hoc-news.de/drucken.html?art_id=17900904

Mobile Alliances May Pressure Microsoft's Wireless OS

,----[ Quote ]
| With the smartphone world increasingly shifting toward an open operating
| system model, Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) and its Windows Mobile face another
| obstacle in trying to penetrate the consumer market.
|
| While strong in the corporate world, the software giant aims to put a Windows
| Mobile smartphone in the hands of every consumer. It already faces stiff
| competition from the likes of Apple Inc. (AAPL) and its iPhone, and will now
| compete against collaborative efforts orchestrated by power players such as
| Nokia Corp. (NOK) and Google Inc. (GOOG).
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200806241549DOWJONESDJONLINE000519_FORTUNE5.htm

Recent:

Openmoko open source mobile phone selling 'in early July'

,----[ Quote ]
| The Apple iPhone and Nokia N95 may be sexier, but the Openmoko open-source
| mobile is encumbered by proprietary software and hardware to the minimal
| extent possible.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/17/43771

YAAB: The Upcoming Armageddon of Closed Versus Open in Mobile Computing
Platforms

,----[ Quote ]
| Sigh, here we go again, Yet Another Apple Blog. So, last week I attended 3
| events which provided some interesting juxtaposition. First of all, there was
| the O'Reilly Emerging Technologies event held in San Diego. Now, the O'Reilly
| crowd is all about open innovation, and this year didn't disappoint with one
| of themes being Open Source hardware, including an Open Source hardware
| mobile phone.
`----

http://blog.nikkeibp.co.jp/ne/keys/archives/2008/03/yaab_the_upcomi.html

OpenMoko to Commercialize Open-source Hardware Mobile Phone

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko (run by Openmoko Inc of Taiwan, a subsidiary of First International
| Computer Inc of Taiwan) is a developer of mobile phones using open-source
| hardware and software. OpenMoko developed OpenMoko Linux and Neo, which are
| open-source software platform and hardware for mobile phones. OpenMoko Linux
| uses Linux as its OS kernel and employs X11 and GTK as its window systems.
`----

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20080310/148761/

OpenMoko CC Licenses CAD Files for Neo1973

,----[ Quote ]
| In doing so, OpenMoko not only allow industrial designers a peek inside the
| Neo1973 to see how it works, but also show a keen understanding of the power
| community efforts can have in creating a better end-user experience.

Linux goes walkabout

,----[ Quote ]
| Aside from its efforts to free users from telcos, the Neo’s other features
| include an accelerometer, which will protect the data when it senses the
| handset is in free-fall (it’s the thing that car airbags use), and a
| touch-screen interface.
`----

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080304.WBcyberia20080304133308/WBStory/WBcyberia

As Early Android Domino, OpenMoko Brings Open Source to Industrial Design

,----[ Quote ]
| When people think open source, they usually think of software. Linux-based
| operating systems such as Ubuntu (for PCs) and Android (for mobile phones)
| give code tinkerers free license (literally) to create and collaborate on new
| software projects that are usually released for free and benefit the entire
| community of users. OpenMoko, the Taiwanese manufacturer of the
| as-yet-unreleased, Linux-based touchscreen Neo 1973 cellphone (it’s expected
| to come to market mid-April for around $399), released its source code in
| February of 2007, allowing anyone in the community to add to the OS.
`----

http://www.popularmechanics.com/blogs/technology_news/4253095.html

Linux phone mechanicals published

,----[ Quote ]
| Mobile phone design company Openmoko has posted industrial design source CAD
| files for its Linux-based, open source Neo 1973 phone (pictured at left).
| Openmoko has also committed to providing open source access to the
| mechanicals for its upcoming Neo Freerunner phone design.

The Enlightened future of OpenMoko Linux mobile phones

,----[ Quote ]
| I met lead Enlightenment developer Carsten Haitzler in the exhibition hall at
| the Southern California Linux Expo (SCALE) this past weekend. Carsten told me
| about prospects for the future of Enlightenment and shared with me some
| details about his work at OpenMoko, a division of FIC which is developing
| Linux-based open-source mobile phone handsets. He sees a big future for Linux
| in the mobile and embedded space and notes that Enlightenment, with its small
| memory footprint, is ideal for deployment on such devices.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080211-the-enlightened-future-of-openmoko-linux-mobile-phones.html

Enlightenment Desktop UI running on the Neo1973

,----[ Quote ]
| Another UI video has surfaced showing E17 enlightenment running the the
| Neo1973.
`----

http://mobilemoko.net/2007/enlightenment-desktop-ui-running-on-the-neo1973/

OpenMoko Developer Preview Sold Out After Unexpected Demand

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, the first Open Source cell phone, has sold out the entire planned
| production run for the device's developer preview after unexpected demand.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/8/6/24279

iPhone matures the "free your phone" movement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is why FreeTheIPhone.org project is born, but even better, why OpenMoko
| project exists. While some are trying to free the locked down device, others
| are creating a free unlocked device from the start, and a whole software
| framework to go with it.
`----

http://www.mobiliberty.com/iphone_matures_free_your_phone_movement

OpenMoko prepping to push sales of Linux-based handset

,----[ Quote ]
| OpenMoko, a Linux-based open source handset platform developer, is pushing
| the development of Linux-based smartphone with its open source handset, the
| Neo 1973, which may be available to the mass-market in the second half of
| 2008, according to company sources.
`----

http://www.digitimes.com/telecom/a20071116PD213.html

Android vs. OpenMoko: Who Will Win?