Re: [News] Wine 1.0 Lower Migration Hurdle to GNU/Linux

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Well-aged Wine
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | WILL I still be able to run my favorite programs?
> |
> | This is the question most Windows users ask when they consider shifting
> | to Linux.
> |
> | Most often, the answer is, ?No, but you can use similar programs.?
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | To my surprise, Wine finally reached Version 1.0 earlier this month,
> | ending 15 long years of testing. Quite an achievement for a project that
> | a group of hackers began in 1993 as a way to run Windows 3.1 programs on
> | Linux. Probably one reason it was in testing so long was that
> | programmers were shooting at a moving target?Wine was expanded over the
> | years to include programs running under Windows 98, ME, 2000, XP and
> | Vista.
> |
> | [...]
> |
> | One of the criticisms leveled at Wine is that it is bad for Linux
> | because it discourages the development of native applications. But the
> | experience of the last 15 years has proved otherwise. Today, there are
> | thousands of high-quality applications written for Linux, which is
> | gaining popularity as a desktop operating system. But for some users,
> | the need to run Photoshop or some other Windows programs, including
> | games, could be a deal breaker. In these instances, Wine can actually
> | help win converts?and that?s a good thing, in my book.
> `----
>
> http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/?page=business6_june24_2008

Personally I think everyone should press for WINE 1.0 installation
compatibility.

It is an immense pain to nurse every application into life
through each application's quirks. WINE 1.0 is a better
framework to get installations working without headaches.

Pressuring software developers for WINE 1.0 Compliance

Pressure all your software developers for clean WINE 1.0 compliance
or suffer the consequences!

Why?

Just look at http://appdb.winehq.org/appbrowse.php?catId=0

Thats why.

Its a complete mess trying to install WINDUMMY applications
and nurse every bit into life. Its not your job to clean
the mess that WINDUMMIES make. Yours is to specify
that all software deliverables must be compliant to WINE 1.0
and install cleanly under WINE 1.0 or be declared unfit
for retail, unfit for office use, unfit for government use.

The world is changing and if crummy two bit software
development houses and big corporate developers
can't offer WINE 1.0 installation compliance because their
heads are too big, then tell them to take a hike!
If they really want the money, they will
be back cap in hand with 100% WINE 1.0 compliance on the proposal.

100% WINE 1.0 compliance can make your software
proposals stand out among open source friendly companies.
So its worth investing time and effort into tools
for 100% WINE 1.0 compliance.