[News] Renowned Hospital CIO: Proprietary Software is Bad

Four Reasons Why Open Source and the Internet Must Play a Role in Medicine

,----[ Quote ]
| Privacy issues are likely to arise, he admitted, but they can be worked out,
| and the benefit of better organization of our medical records would be
| phenomenal. "Open and transparent is good," Halamka explained to this
| open-source-centric audience. "Proprietary is bad."
`----

http://www.cio.com/article/406663/Four_Reasons_Why_Open_Source_and_the_Internet_Must_Play_a_Role_in_Medicine

Recent:

Electronic medical data the watchword, says Harvard Medical School CIO at Red
Hat Summit

,----[ Quote ]
| Halamka also relayed how a migration from Unix to Linux-based servers shaved
| costs and created higher network throughput.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1317712,00.html?track=sy184&asrc=RSS_RSS-15_184

French hospital migrates to OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this French article, the French hospital of Thiers is migrating
| its 150 desktops to OpenOffice.org in order to spend money on training
| instead of licenses.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/french_hospital_migrates_to_openoffice

Microsoft Exchange dumped for Linux-based clone

,----[ Quote ]
| After conducting an evaluation of alternatives, the hospital decided not to
| upgrade to a newer version of Exchange. Instead, it went with a  Linux-based
| Exchange clone that it felt could meet the needs of its 700 users without
| forcing them and IT to learn a whole new system.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/052808-microsoft-exchange-linux-clone.html

Related:

Hospital software vendor McKesson uses Linux to heal IT budgets

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, convincing hospital executives to go with McKesson's Linux-based
| applications was difficult because of fears that Linux wouldn't be as
| reliable as Unix, which had been in their IT shops for years, Simpson
| said. "It took some time for them to understand that open source is safe,
| that open source has support," he added.
|
| The deal with Red Hat "really kicked the program into gear," he said,
| allowing McKesson to offer its software with Red Hat Enterprise Linux in a
| top-to-bottom package for mission-critical hospital IT systems.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9052142&intsrc=hm_list

Linux in Healthcare

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux in healthcare is a tale of things seen and unseen. Linux/Open
| Source have enjoyed tremendous popularity in embedded systems and
| networks for major technologies used in healthcare that healthcare
| providers may not even be aware of.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/3215/

Leading Hospital Relies on Red Hat Solutions for Improved Reliability and
Patient Care

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.centredaily.com/business/technology/story/393977.html