[News] Nokia Fanatically Embraces OSS with Symbian, Amid Pressure from Linux

Nokia Buys Rest of Symbian, Will Make Code Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| But that isn't the only explanation: Competition in the mobile phone market
| is intensifying.
|
| "I think Nokia was more worried about the risk that Symbian's structure would
| erode its competitive position," said Blaber.
|
| Symbian is being challenged by a number of new contenders, including the
| open-source operating system from the LiMo Foundation and Google's Android
| platform, which are challenging existing commercial models, according to
| Blaber.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147470/nokia_buys_rest_of_symbian_will_make_code_open_source.html

Nokia grabs control of Symbian - then gives it away

,----[ Quote ]
| This does remove at a stroke the principle advantage of Google's Android: the
| code being free. But it also removes a significant source of revenue for
| Nokia, which is paying €264m for the privilege of being able to give away its
| software.
|
| The formal announcement from Symbian is due in an hour or so, and more
| details should emerge then. We'll certainly be taking a more comprehensive
| look at what Nokia has in mind later today, and how the company intends to
| make any money in the coming decade or two.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06/24/symbian_foundation/

Another takeover:

Nokia Acquires Plazes To Be Ovi's New Mapping App

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia, the world's leading handset manufacturer, has announced its intention
| to acquire LBS web app Plazes. Berlin-based Plazes will provide Nokia with a
| social mapping property for Ovi, its new web portal. Congratulations to CEO
| Felix Peterson and the rest of the Plazes team!
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2008/06/nokia-acquires-plazes-ovis-mapping-lbs.html

Times are changing. Nokia tries to evolve with Eclipse, thinking it can
strong-arm developers this way.

Recent:

Nokia: Open source developers should play by our rules

,----[ Quote ]
| Tellingly, Jaaski expressed some disappointment with Nokia's Maemo
| experiment. "The community had already gone in a different direction than
| [us], and no one was pushing it other than [us]," he said at the Handsets
| World conference. In other words, Nokia's tools hadn't leapfrogged the open
| source tools; instead, the open source community leapfrogged Nokia.
|
| [...]
|
| Nokia could be following Google's example. Instead, it has allowed itself to
| be bogged down by notions inherited from a computing model that's rapidly
| becoming outdated. As Jaaski himself admitted, "As an industry, we plan to
| use open source technologies, but we are not yet ready to play by the rules."
|
| Most of us call that cheating.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/fatalexception/archives/2008/06/nokia_open_sour.html

Seagate Freeagent Pro: hardware that comes with proprietary software

,----[ Quote ]
| It is sad to see a great hardware manufacturer, like Seagate, pandering to
| the demands of a Convicted Monopolist, like Microsoft, to the extent that
| they are making life difficult for all their other customers. It seems like
| Microsoft corrupts everything it touches. The free software community should
| maintain a complete apartheid from this corporation and with all those who
| attempt to collaborate with it, like Novell.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/coumns/seagate_freeagent_pro_hardware_comes_proprietary_software

Nokia does not get it

,----[ Quote ]
| You better start playing by the rules because else the other companies might
| do it faster than Nokia and you will lose the opportunity. Oh: And just as a
| remind: when you go open source, you *must* play by the rules by honoring the
| license of the software.
|
| Really, it’s sad to listen to things like this from someone controlling the
| company who owns Trolltech  I am sure that the vice-president of companies
| like Red Hat wouldn’t say nonsense like the above. But it’s no surprise
| coming from someone in a company that seems to be absolutely in favor of
| software patents in Europe according to FFII.
`----

http://edulix.wordpress.com/2008/06/14/nokia-does-not-get-it/

Oh please, educate me, Nokia.

,----[ Quote ]
| Nokia: “We want to educate open-source developers."
|
| Oh please, educate me, Nokia. Actually, never-mind. Kiss my ass instead. BTW,
| I call it free software, not "open source".
|
| Nokia: "There are certain business rules [developers] need to obey, such as
| DRM, IPR [intellectual property rights], SIM locks and subsidised business
| models.”
|
| You think I need obey? I prefer civil disobedience. DRM? Why would I obey
| your plan to steal my freedom? "Intellectual property"? What's that? There is
| Copyright law and Patent law but to my knowledge, there is no "intellectual
| property" law.
|
| It's a good idea to Boycott Nokia. They have an exceedingly imperious and
| arrogant attitude. Didn't they just buy Trolltech? Whichever pinhead from
| Nokia wrote this garbage just did a disservice to Trolltech. It makes
| Trolltech look like obedient "open source" developers who are in the process
| of being re-educated by Nokia.
`----

http://www.fsdaily.com/Community/Nokia_does_not_get_it#comment-3323

Ari Jaaksi of Nokia Wants to Educate the Linux Community

,----[ Quote ]
| But perhaps the community has some education for Jaaksi and Nokia. Jaaksi
| hosted me at a Nokia dinner in 2000, he's a nice guy and has been interested
| in Linux for a long time. But Nokia's barking up the wrong tree this time,
| because Nokia can do everything it wants with DRM, IPR, and SIM locks without
| bothering the Linux developers about it - and both Nokia and the Linux
| developers will like it better that way. It's surprising that Nokia doesn't
| understand that at this late date.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2008/6/11/43198

Can we advance open source by sacrificing software freedom?

,----[ Quote ]
| Another point that is missing from this debate is the part that is played by
| end users. Regardless of how Nokia and open source software developers view
| restrictive business practices, it is pressure from the consumer that will
| eventually make such practices untenable. Regular users are increasingly
| fighting back as they become aware of the hidden costs built into locks and
| DRM. These mechanisms are easily circumventable, and they cease to stay
| relevant when they are repeatedly cracked.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080615-advancing-oss-adoption-by-sacrificing-software-freedom.html

Some learning to do?

,----[ Quote ]