[News] Wii Open to Homebrew (GNU/Linux) a Day After Nintendo 'Fix'

Twilight Hack returns to knock out Wii Menu 3.3

,----[ Quote ]
| Now the HackMii folks are back with Twilight Hack v0.1beta1, which bests Wii
| Menu 3.3, along with some other improvements for homebrew usage. We can't
| tell if this is incompetence or benevolence on Nintendo's part, or perhaps
| these hackers are just that good, but either way we're lovin' it JT-style.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/21/twilight-hack-returns-to-knock-out-wii-menu-3-3/

Some more interesting console-ish stuff (Cell loves Fedora/YDL):

Toshiba Unveils Laptop With Cell-Derived Chip

,----[ Quote ]
| The first laptops to make use of the SpursEngine, a multimedia co-processor
| derived from the Cell chip that powers the PlayStation 3, will go on sale in
| Japan in July.
|
| [...]
|
| The operating system will run on an Intel Core 2 Duo chip and the SpursEngine
| will be called on to handle processor-intensive tasks, such as processing of
| high-definition video. This arrangement means the laptop should be capable of
| some tricks that haven't been seen on machines until now.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/147415/toshiba_unveils_laptop_with_cellderived_chip.html

Recent:

Linux on a Wii

,----[ Quote ]
| Today I played around a bit with the stuff done by the Wii homebrew/hacking
| community, which is far more advanced than I had expected.
`----

http://www.hboeck.de/archives/634-Linux-on-a-Wii.html

Want to Run Linux on Your Nintendo Wii?

,----[ Quote ]
| You'll need a GameCube SD card adapter, a 1GB (or higher) SD card, a copy of
| Zelda (for the Wii), and of course, a Nintendo Wii itself. Next, you'll need
| to make sure your version of Zelda is one of the anointed -- apparently not
| all copies of Zelda are created equal. Finally, you'll have to do a bunch of
| extracting, copying, renaming, deleting, saving, etc., load the game, load a
| hacked save file and actually talk to a guy in-game to trigger the loader,
| which drops you out to a black and white screen, at which point you get to
| have fun figuring out how to load Linux itself.
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/gameon/archives/006554.html

Related:

Wii Been Hacked! Runs Cutest Linux Ever!

,----[ Quote ]
| We all knew it was just a matter of time, but now we have video evidence. The
| Wii has been totally haxored! That's right, just check out the video below
| and take a look at what these guys have accomplished. In all honestly, about
| half of what they say is Greek to me, but I'm impressed with the final result
| nonetheless.
`----

http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/681818/Wii_Been_Hacked_Runs_Cutest_Linux_Ever.html

Nintendo Wii fully hacked for native homebrew

,----[ Quote ]
| The Wii was compromised pretty early on to be able to play burned discs and
| GameCube homebrew such as Linux, but until now Nintendo has managed to
| isolate Wii hardware such as the extra horsepower of the console and wireless
| connectivity from hackers. But the walls are coming down. Some hackers from
| Germany have just showed off their fully hacked Wii at the 24th Annual Chaos
| Communication Congress.
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/28/nintendo-fully-hacked-for-native-homebrew/

Linux 3D graphics access on PS3 found