[News] [Rival] Microsoft Abuses the Word "Free"; Uses It as Marketing Blitz Slogan

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Abuses the Word "Free"; Uses It as Marketing Blitz Slogan
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 11:33:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Microsoft earmarks another $200 million for Windows advertising

,----[ Quote ]
| Fortune explains Microsoft’s image makeover plan, codenamed “FTP168 (with FTP
| being “Free the People”)...

So now they ruin the word "free" as well. "Free" as in Vista DRM, WGA, lock-in,
forced upgrades and hijackers.

Yeah... Microsoft “Frees the People”... with free shackles.

Now Hiring - Astroturfer, apply at Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Evidently, a "Senior Marketing Manager" has the responsibility of:
|     * "assisting in defining and driving core marketing initiatives – most
|     specifically online & offline community-building"
|     * "further the dialogue on the value of the Microsoft platform to open
|     source audiences"
|     * "be a cornerstone for a global thought leadership website and will be
|     regularly featured in industry press around the world"
|     * "act as a visible external evangelist for Microsoft"
| Wow! That's all direct quotes from the job description. It is so blatant, I'm
| beginning to wonder if it's some kind of joke. Particularly the 'evangelist'
| line.
| Kind of like the famous Halloween documents, this posting really tips
| Microsoft's hand and shows us exactly what they're thinking. After all the
| smoke and mirrors over the deals with Linux distros Suse, Linspire, Xandross,
| and Turbo Linux, this shows that those distros were in fact acquired in order
| to be killed. It's not Linux that Microsoft wants, it's the customers.

Malik, Arrington and Battelle: X-22, come in [to Microsoft]

,----[ Quote ]

,----[ Quote ]
| "The main thing I'm pissed off about right now is that they pulled all the
| ads, which mean we're taking a revenue hit. We're running a business here,
| and have payroll to make. We run ads to make that payroll. Those ads have now
| been pulled."
| Microsoft once again corrupts confidence in the blogsphere. They
| turn 'citizen journalists' to marketing people in disguise.

Microsoft Pays $200 for Mentioning Its Tools

,----[ Quote ]