[News] [Rival] MSBBC Slammed for More Microsoft Glorification

The BBC, Gates and revisionism

,----[ Quote ]
| What was appalling about the programme was the lack of any apparent
| preparation on the part of the interviewer, Fiona Bruce. Gates was able to
| paint a wonderful revisionist picture of the past and Ballmer actually got
| away with describing Microsoft as an ethical company.
|
| It is fitting that the BBC decided to feature Gates on its Money programme
| and not on its Technology programme; after all, Microsoft is first and
| foremost a marketing company. Technology comes a distant second.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/18937/1148/

Sweater Man is not even leaving Microsoft, yet they use this as an opportunity
for a marketing blitz, history rewrite, and evangelism. "Marketing company"
indeed.

Microsoft shot /itself/ in the foot and corrupted the system, but it keeps
blaming everyone else for failures.

My picks for Bill Gates's 5 dumbest moves

,----[ Quote ]
| 5) Bungling the antitrust case
|
| So much has been written about the case that rehashing it seems unnecessary.
| But suffice it to say that Gates vastly underestimated the threat to
| Microsoft. How else do we explain Gates's notorious taped deposition, during
| which he emanated waves of hostility and condescension?
|
| [...]
|
| 4) Unwillingness to cannibalize its own products, aka greed
|
| [...]
|
| 3) XBox and MSN
|
| If Windows and Office represent Microsoft's most successful moneyspinners,
then XBox and MSN must surely represent its biggest financial sinkholes.

| [...]
|
| 2) Microsoft Bob
|
| [...]
|
| 1) Ignoring search
|
| Gates actually named search as one of Microsoft's priorities in his 1995
| Internet Tidal Wave memo.
|
| But battling Netscape took priority.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/node/8235

Recent:

Bill Gates and the importance of source code

,----[ Quote ]
| I don’t think the producers of the show realised the significance of this
| admission, since they quickly cut to another segment. Reading between the
| lines, Gates is essentially confessing that he would not have progressed had
| he and Paul Allen not found the source code. Without this knowledge, and
| without this opportunity to understand and experiment with how the internals
| of a computer worked, Gates and Allen would have been severely constrained in
| their ability to found a software company and develop products
|
| I would go so far as to say that Microsoft owes its very existence to this
| access to source code.
|
| To anyone with a passing familiarity to how things worked back then, this
| comes as no surprise. Source code was expected to be free, and this in turn
| nurtured a generation of computer hackers. But whereas Richard Stallman saw
| the amazing potential of this freedom and wanted to preserve it for all, Bill
| Gates appears to have perceived it as an advantage for himself that he must
| deny to others.
`----

http://www.dhanapalan.com/blog/2008/06/22/bill-gates-and-the-importance-of-source-code/

Beeb slammed for 'fawning' to Bill Gates

,----[ Quote ]
| BBC viewers have flooded the corporation with complaints over how it
| covered the launch of Microsoft Vista earlier this week.
|
| In one cringingly servile interview worthy of Uriah Heep, the
| Beeb's news presenter Hugh Edwards even thanked Gates at the
| end of it, presumably in appreciation at being allowed to give
| the Vole vast coverage for free.
|
| In other TV news items presenters excitedly explained how Vistac
| ould be obtained and installed - details courtesy of the BBC's
| website.
|
| But British viewers, currently forced to pay a £131.50 licence
| fee to maintain the BBC's "impartiality", were less than impressed.
|
| Scores got in touch to complain that so much was Auntie up Bill's
| bum that you could barely see her corset.

http://slated.org/bbc_microsoft_bias

BBC Corrupted

,----[ Quote ]
`----