[News] Microsoft's Pet, Facebook, Participates in Ruining the USPTO

Mark Zuckerberg, Inventor

,----[ Quote ]
| After you check boxes on a form to indicate that 'Everyone from San
| Francisco, CA, Social Network Provider, and Harvard' can see your profile,
| Zuckerberg's 'invention' will miraculously display: 'People from San
| Francisco, CA, Social Network Provider, and Harvard can see your profile.'
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/06/20/1420229

Software patents are bad. Facebook is official part of the problem.

Recent:

The Delusions Of Nathan Myhrvold

,----[ Quote ]
| And here Myhrvold is either outright lying or he's ignorant (he can let us
| know which one). First of all no one has ever said that patent litigation is
| threatening to stop all innovation. They've just said that it is slowing the
| pace of innovation. And there's plenty of evidence to support that, despite
| Myhrvold's claim that there's none. James Bessen and Michael Meurer just came
| out with a whole book detailing much of the evidence, and David Levine and
| Michele Boldrin also have a book with even more evidence. Did Myhrvold simply
| not know about these? Or is he lying to PC World?
|
| [...]
|
| I'm sure Myhrvold is a smart guy -- and he may truly believe that he's
| helping inventors and changing the world -- but he's either being purposely
| misleading or he's ignorant when it comes to patents and how they interact
| with the economy.
`----

http://techdirt.com/articles/20080511/1529011081.shtml

Related:

What does the Microsoft "partnership" with Facebook mean for users?

,----[ Quote ]
| First, Microsoft had a very instructive failure with Passport, and
| the "Hailstorm" effort of which it was a part.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1002828

Facebook teams with Amazon

,----[ Quote ]
| In a collaboration with Redmond-based Microsoft Inc.'s Popfly,
| Facebook users can create applications and add them to their
| profiles with no programming.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070525/1468844.html?.v=1

Who is the world's biggest patent troll?

,----[ Quote ]
| In two consecutive days, The Wall Street Journal presented two different
| answers. The first is not surprising: Intellectual Ventures, the brainchild
| of ex-Microsoft executive Nathan Myhrvold. It's now out "to raise as much as
| $1 billion to help develop and patent inventions, many of them from
| universities in Asia."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9816163-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Facebook: Buyout Frenzy Builds Around Rumored IPO

,----[ Quote ]
| Ashkan Karbasfrooshan outlines the current agreement with Microsoft and makes
| the case for a Facebook IPO in 2008 in great detail. Great post, Ashkan!
|
| My personal feeling is that Facebook would NEVER sell out to Microsoft and
| risk pissing off it employees and user base but we shall see.b
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070717/41269_id.html?.v=1

Facebook users give thumbs down to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article3893228.ece