[News] [SOT] Associated Press Fights Fair Use Law, Gets Shunned

What's Fair Use, Anyway? AP Has a Thought, and So Do I

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that AP has purported to establish fair use guidelines that would make 5
| words licensable as *not* fair use, I thought I'd explain a bit about fair
| use and about why Groklaw no longer will link to or quote from any AP
| articles. I've seen reports that AP has backed off in some not quite
| clear-to-me way, but I notice their list of fees remains online.
|
| [...]
|
| And that is why Groklaw no longer will quote from or link to AP, and I'd ask
| you not to do so in your comments either. I can't pay $50 a pop, and I don't
| like being sued, even though I'm positive the 5 words guideline would fail. I
| think you've seen how horrible litigation really is, from watching the SCO
| saga, so do go along with this decision, please. Nothing AP has is worth this
| kind of hassle.

Other sites adopted a similar policy of anti-AP. TechCrunch issued a DMCA
complaint against AP.

AP is trying to take away laws that defend liberties (to repeat more than 4
words).

Recent:

The Cost of Excerpting the AP

,----[ Quote ]
| It's priced by the word, and using a 5- to 25-word excerpt costs $12.50 with
| a 251-word or longer excerpt costing a ridiculous $100.
|
| This ordeal reminds me a lot of the fight against piracy. No matter how much
| the AP tries, it will never be able to curtail the entire blogosphere, just
| as the RIAA will never be able to completely eliminate piracy. The big
| question remains: Will the AP's reputation begin to resemble that of the
| RIAA?
`----

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/007122.html

Associated Press expects you to pay to license 5-word quotations (and reserves
the right to terminate your license)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/06/17/associated-press-exp.html