Re: Does Microsoft ban its employees from reading GPL sources?

Verily I say unto thee, that Matt spake thusly:
> Tim Smith wrote:

>> You haven't actually read the ODF specification, have you?  It *is*
>> incomplete.  It is not possible to implement ODF entirely from the
>> spec and end up with something that actually interoperates with
>> other ODF implementations.

And /you/ didn't actually read the part of my post where I quite clearly
stated that maths formulae were never intended to be part of the
specifications for this /XML/ format, did you?

ODF is certainly implementable ("from spec" or otherwise), as I'm sure
Microsoft can now attest. BTW: exactly how /did/ they manage that
without reading GPL sources, as they are apparently forbidden from
doing? As for whether or not spreadsheet formulae are /interoperable/,
that will depend on whether or not Microsoft chooses to implement
OpenFormula or (as is their usual MO) reinvent the wheel for their own
manipulative purposes, just like they did with OOXML (you know, that
"standard" that contains lots of irrelevant and proprietary junk).

> But I doubt that that was one of their design goals.

Interoperability should be the raison d'être for /all/ Open Standards,
and as far as what ODF was designed to do, it accomplishes that goal.
The same cannot be said about OOXML documents that contain crap like
"useWord97LineBreakRules" and "shapeLayoutLikeWW8".

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "Stallman has frequently pointed out, Free Software is by no means
| antithetical to making money: it's just a question of how you make
| money." ~ Glyn Moody: http://tinyurl.com/4wn2l2 (ComputerworldUK)

 20:50:17 up 184 days, 17:25,  2 users,  load average: 0.27, 0.21, 0.19