[News] Free Open Source Project Enters Guiness Book of World Records

Guiness World Record Certificate in your name - Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| The record is 15,067,570 downloads (15 Million). Country wise, USA tops the
| list with a whooping 4 million + downloads. Surprisingly, sans the US,
| relatively small countries like Iran and France clocked more downloads than
| its larger counterparts like India and China.
|
| If you are one of the people who downloaded Firefox on June 17th, then
| congratulations !!; You are a part of the Guiness Book of World Records. And
| the people at Firefox are ever too grateful to forget your valuable
| contribution.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2008/06/guiness-world-record-certificate-in.html

Firefox Wins the Battle, But the Browser War Still Wages

,----[ Quote ]
| The “record-setting” debut of Firefox 3 on Tuesday is generating serious buzz
| on the Web.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/06/20/firefox-wins-the-battle-but-the-browser-war-still-wages/

Photos: New features in Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3 offers faster rendering, a vastly reduced use of system resources
| and clever new data-mining tools for your bookmarks and browser history. Most
| notable is the fact that Firefox 3 includes many built-in security-related
| features, such as the best-of-breed antiphishing protection, making Firefox
| the most secure browser on the market today. If you haven't already tried
| Firefox, what are you waiting for? Firefox 3 remains our Editors' Choice over
| Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Opera.
`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/software/soa/Photos-New-features-in-Firefox-3/0,139023769,339290001,00.htm

The world's best Web browser is open source, with Free software derivatives
also.

The world's best search engine runs Linux and most of the Web runs Apache.

Recent:

[Parody:] Microsoft Abandons Internet Explorer 8 Development for Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| As the Mozilla Foundation releases Firefox 3 and tries to set a record for
| most downloads in a day, they will be receiving help from an unlikely source:
| Microsoft.
`----

http://www.bbspot.com/News/2008/06/microsoft-abandons-internet-explorer-8.html

Ten years of Mozilla

,----[ Quote ]
| Ten years ago, Netscape announced it would release to the public the code of
| its flag ship product, Netscape Communicator 5, making it an open source
| product. The action came at a time when Netscape was still the dominant web
| browser: 65 million users and 90% market share in the educational segment
| according to Netscape’s own accounts. But Microsoft’s Internet Explorer was
| grabbing share at a furious pace thanks to it being free (at a time Netscape
| was about$30) and specially the fact that it came bundled with Windows 95 and
| upcoming Windows 98 (released on June 1998).
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/01/ten-years-of-mozilla/

Related:

Gates deposition videos

,----[ Quote ]
| Boies: Do you remember that in January, 1996, a lot of OEMs were
| bundling non-Microsoft browsers?
|
| Gates: I'm not sure.
|
| Boies: What were the non-Microsoft browsers that you were
| concerned about in January of 1996?
|
| Gates: What's the question? You're trying to get me to recall
| what other browsers I was thinking about when I wrote that sentence?
|
| Boies: No, because you've told me that you don't know what you
| were thinking about when you wrote that sentence.
|
| Gates: Right.
|
| Boies: What I'm trying to do is get you to tell me what
| non-Microsoft browsers you were concerned about in January of
| 1996. If it had been only one, I probably would have used the
| name of it. Instead I seem to be using the term non-Microsoft
| browsers. My question is what non-Microsoft browsers were you
| concerned about in January of 1996?
|
| Gates: I'm sure -- what's the question? Is it -- are you asking
| me about when I wrote this e-mail or what are you asking me about?
|
| Boies: I'm asking you about January of 1996.
|
| Gates: That month?
|
| Boies: Yes, sir.
|
| Gates: And what about it?
|
| Boies: What non-Microsoft browsers were you concerned about in
| January of 1996?
|
| Gates: I don't know what you mean "concerned."
|
| Boies: What is it about the word "concerned" that you don't
| understand?
|
| Gates: I'm not sure what you mean by it.
`----

http://wincent.com/a/about/wincent/weblog/archives/2007/02/gates_depositio.php

Gates Deposition Audio and Video

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/staticpages/index.php?page=GatesDepo

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02991.pdf

Microsoft's Marketing Scheme: Software Credits for Enterprise Commitment

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070319/29863_id.html?.v=1

,----[ Quote ]
| "3. INTERNET EXPLORER: Unless specifically requested to the contrary
| by the end user of the Customer System and provided proper
| translation is available, COMPANY will ship MS Internet Explorer
| 2.0, and the most current subsequent higher version Product
| Releases and Version Releases thereof, preinstalled on all
| new Customer Systems..."
`----

http://edge-op.org/iowa/www.iowaconsumercase.org/011607/2000/PX02346.pdf

The Netscape Story: From Mosaic to Mozilla

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=310&blogid=14