[News] ActiveX and Office 2007 Run on GNU/Linux with Crossover

Crossover 7.0 includes Office 2007 support

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the areas of greatest enhancement in Wine lies in its significantly
| enhanced support for ActiveX controls within Internet Explorer. “A recurring
| theme we hear is the ability to use CrossOver to access Active-X intensive
| webpages” said White. “This upgrade takes a giant step forward by expanding
| the websites that can be used on a Linux or Mac system.”
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2505

Mono Man would get a stiffy. He lurves ActiveX and MOOX.

Recent:

Report: ActiveX, QuickTime are buggiest browser plug-ins

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's technology, primarily used to create add-ins for Internet
| Explorer, accounted for 79 per cent of the 239 plug-in bugs discovered
| between July and December 2007, Symantec said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1680415280&rid=-50

New Attack Kit Targets Bag of ActiveX Bugs

,----[ Quote ]
| Bugs in ActiveX, a Microsoft technology used most often to create add-ons for
| the company's Internet Explorer (IE) browser, have always been common, but so
| many serious flaws have been disclosed of late that some security experts
| have recommended users do without them.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144214-pg,1/article.html

Be prepared: ActiveX attacks will persist

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent string of high-profile ActiveX vulnerabilities caused the U.S.
| Computer Emergency Readiness Team (US-CERT) to advise users to disable the
| ubiquitous Microsoft browser plug-in technology altogether.
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/02/19/08NF-activex-horror_1.html

Will Microsoft Change How ActiveX Runs in IE 8?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some security experts, like Will Dormann, a vulnerability analyst at the
| Carnegie Mellon Software Engineering Institute CERT/CC, are calling for
| ActiveX to be disabled from running by default in IE 8.
|
| Dormann is telling IE users that they should, from a security perspective,
| disable ActiveX controls from running by default. "It would be nice if this
| is something Microsoft did with the next version of the browser," he said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/Will-Microsoft-Change-How-ActiveX-Runs-in-IE-8/

Related:

Rogue ActiveX controls menace users

,----[ Quote ]
|  Flaws in ActiveX controls are being increasingly used to run security
|  exploits.
|
| [...]
|
| An attack exploiting this vulnerability can lead to arbitrary code execution
| by a remote attacker," a blog posting by Symantec researcher Parveen
| Vashishtha warns.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/24/activex_vulns/

RealPlayer Attack Circulating

,----[ Quote ]
| The attack exploits a flaw in an ActiveX browser helper object, software that
| RealPlayer employs to help users who are experiencing technical difficulties,
| so the PC must be using the Internet Explorer browser to be affected by this
| particular attack, Symantec said.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20071020/tc_pcworld/138706

Yahoo! battered by second ActiveX vulnerability

,----[ Quote ]
| The vulnerabilities affect versions of Yahoo! Messenger 8.x prior to version
| 8.1.0.419, released late last week. Users are urged to upgrade.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/09/03/yahoo_activex_vuln/

Way Too ActiveX

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, over at Symantec's Security Response Weblog, Greg Ahmad
| reveals startling--and I do mean shocking--increases in ActiveX
| vulnerabilities. According to Symantec, ActiveX vulnerabilities
| stayed in the 12- to- 15-a-year range from 2002 to 2005. For
| 2006, the number of vulnerabilities "reached 50," with 42 in
| the second half of the year--coincidentally, the same time
| period Microsoft finished up and released Internet Explorer 7.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/way_too_activex.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535
http://tinyurl.com/33cfno

Acer puts Active X hole on laptops

,----[ Quote ]
| Laptop outfit Acer seems to have placed an Active X control on its
| computers that seems to allow webpages to execute any program.
|
| This huge hole in network security has been installed on board Acer
| lap-tops since 1998.

Adobe Confirms 'Critical' Reader, Acrobat Exploits With IE

,----[ Quote ]
| A critical security vulnerability in an ActiveX control used by
| Internet Explorer could allow malicious hackers to use Adobe's
| Reader and Acrobat software to launch PC hijack attacks,
| according to a warning from Adobe Systems.

Month of ActiveX bugs project begins with two Office flaws

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://scmagazine.com/us/news/article/654659/month-activex-bugs-project-begins-two-office-flaws/